Possible dilemma

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smitty750, Feb 8, 2015.

1. smitty750

smitty750 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Bethel
    I have an 8 month old blue favaucana that's a little smaller then the rest of the flock consisting of 2 Buff orps, 2 black australorps, 1 barred rock, 1 blue copper maran, 2 RIR, 2 GLW and 1 SLW. I noticed some feathers in the run yesterday but inspected everyone and they looked fine. They spend their day in a covered 14'x10' coop/run with 24 hour access to water and hearty hen layer feed and some oyster shell. The run floor is sand with fine sand mixed in for dust baths, the coop itself is 10'x5' with 3 5' long roosts and wood shaving flooring. This morning I went out to open the door and noticed the favaucana had two spots on both sides right underneath were her wing tips end that had missing feathers and dried blood. She's acting normal, eating, drinking, I stayed outside for over an hour (3 degrees out or I would've stayed longer lol) at a distance to see if she was being picked on and so far nothing. My questions are, is this def feather picking and if so how do I stop it? Could it be mites? I picked her up and checked her out and didn't see anything on her. In the meantime should I bring her inside until A. The bleeding doesn't come back or B. Until the feathers come back? Like I said there's no liquid blood it's just spotty and dried on her skin. Should I clean her up with some soap and water, antiseptic? Or just let the dried blood stay and the wounds heal naturally?

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    You can put Blu cote on the wounds to discourage picking. Mine will sometimes pick at each other when roosting.
    The wounds will draw attention from the other birds even if they were not the cause of them.
    Can you get some pics of the roosting area and of the wounds?
    When mine pick at each other it tends to be the head and the bottom that get a peck.

The age of the bird says a lot. Are they all this age?
    They can be just fine with each other when they are not old enough to lay and be snippy once laying has started.

3. smitty750

Apr 14, 2011
    Bethel
    She's the same age as the GLW and the SLW. The others are 3 months older then that group. I'll try to get pics of the roost bars and her injury.

4. smitty750

Apr 14, 2011
    Bethel
    First pic is the coop with roosts. I've never seen any excess feathers in the coop just the run. The second pic is the run. I believe I've found the aggressor, one of the RIR. While the Favaucana was laying the one RIR came in and pecked her out of the nest box. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    It is a nice set up and looks to have enough roost space.
    The nest box pecking is different than the roost pecking. Even my most docile hens will do a peck at someone in the nest box kind of saying hey hurry up.

I would use the blue kote and watch for any aggression.

6. smitty750

Apr 14, 2011
    Bethel
    So I brought her in to clean her up and get some antiseptic spray on her and here's what I found. What's going on?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    That looks a lot worse than I had anticipated. I have no idea what could have cause such an injury.

I am hoping someone that has more experience with injuries will check in and respond.

8. smitty750

Apr 14, 2011
    Bethel
    Ok so she pooped and everything's back to normal. I'm assuming either a prolapsed vent or that's just what it looks like when a chicken poops (never really paid close attention to that lol).

9. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I was worried about a prolapse as well. The cut has me worried still though.

10. smitty750

Apr 14, 2011
    Bethel
    The cut is more dried blood than anything I think. Unless you think it looks infected? I used Veterycin to clean it and dried her off then sprayed it with Blu Kote

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by