Possible egg bound hen help!

Thank you, yes I've heard the same thing about the dangers of the egg breaking inside...it's happened to my hen a few times now and she always seems to get the broken shell out in one piece. Hoping it never gets to the point to cause complications! Fishing egg shells out by hand is not what I'd prefer to be doing lol!
1f603.png

Agreed. Glad it "all came out ok"!

My hen has yet to lay another egg it's been ten days since she passed the broken one....now she is pulling her feathers out of her neck and fluffy butt like she's broody but can't lay. Any suggestions???

My Ameracauna, three years old appeared to be egg bound yesterday afternoon, she was straining and I could see it was a soft egg with some prolapse. By the time I came in to get supplies she had perched and `sucked` the egg up (and I couldnt find it in the garden). Two warm epsom salt baths last night, yogurt with tums and Vitamin D for calcium. She had some very large bowel movements last night, runny gross but nothing looked like egg. A few more normal poops this morning. So not sure what next, my chicken vet (1.5 hour drive) is on holidays and I am not aware of any other one (I have tried in past). Any ideas, I would think if she is still egg bound pooing would be a problem. Perhaps more baths, she seems perky and is eating.

My Ameracauna, three years old appeared to be egg bound yesterday afternoon, she was straining and I could see it was a soft egg with some prolapse.  By the time I came in to get supplies she had perched and `sucked` the egg up (and I couldnt find it in the garden).  Two warm epsom salt baths last night, yogurt with tums and Vitamin D for calcium. She had some very large bowel movements last night, runny gross but nothing looked like egg.  A few more normal poops this morning.  So not sure what next, my chicken vet (1.5 hour drive) is on holidays and I am not aware of any other one (I have tried in past).  Any ideas, I would think if she is still egg bound pooing would be a problem.  Perhaps more baths, she seems perky and is eating.

How is she doing today? When my hen is having egg bound trouble she strains and only poos a little so it sounds like your hen is doing ok!

Back
Top Bottom