Possible egg bound hen

Chickenma2021

Songster
Aug 15, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Hello,
My hen Blanch hasnt been acting like herself, so I've been treating her for illness. That's when today, I felt the area below her vent/around her abdomen and I felt something hard and about the size of a small egg. As I was feeling around, it doesnt feel like it's an oval and feels very irregular and too far down to be an egg. I've been giving her baths and extra calcium. What should I do now? Is this an egg or something else??

Update: I gave her calcium, a bath and massages and she still hasnt passed the egg. It's not blocking her vent because its lower down, so I dont think it's as serious as if it was closer to the vent. I still dont know how to get it out tho- or if it's even an egg.

How old is your hen? Does she lay regularly? You may be feeling something inside such as lash egg mass from internal laying, her gizzard, or an egg. The calcium is good incase she is trying to lay an egg. Can you insert a clean or gloved finger into her bent up to 2 inches to feel for an obstruction or egg? Let us know what happens.

How old is your hen? Does she lay regularly? You may be feeling something inside such as lash egg mass from internal laying, her gizzard, or an egg. The calcium is good incase she is trying to lay an egg. Can you insert a clean or gloved finger into her bent up to 2 inches to feel for an obstruction or egg? Let us know what happens.
She just turned 2. She usually lays every day or every other day. I tried to feel for an obstruction but I couldn't get my finger far enough. I'm even questioning if this is an egg because she has been acting off for at least a week and if she was egg bound she would've died. Her comb is still bright red, shes just not very active and has poor balance.

This is where I feel the lump. It is almost protruding out of her, I can see it without even feeling

Attachments

• 20230710_165653.png
    20230710_165653.png
    571.3 KB · Views: 8
Sometimes we don’t always find a cause right away, but if something happens and you lose her, you can open her abdomen to do a brief necropsy to look at her organs. So you could not insert your finger up to 2 inches to the second knuckle inside? Cancer or a lash egg from salpingitis are some possibilities if she is not egg bound. I would repeat the calcium with vitamin D daily for a few days. If she is a normal sized hen, she can take 600 mg of calcium.

Blanch was doing really good a couple days ago, she even ran for treats! I then went away for the weekend and came back to her quite sad. She had both wings drooping, tail down and is being bullied by the others. She is so light too, lighter than my tiny chicken. Still has a lump in her but I don't think I can fix that. what really worried me was when she tried to fly onto a platform that was not that high of the ground at all (like maybe 30cm) and she fell and just layed there with her wings out. I brought her out of the coop to give her extra food water and treats just so I know she's not dehydrated or starving but she is really worrying me. Her reaction time is so slow and she has tics that make her shake her head 24/7. At this point I think I'm just gonna do my best to keep her going, but I'm not sure how much longer she's going to live.

Edit: after doing some more research a lot of her symptoms match those of salpingitis. Either that or worms - but the weird bump on her doesn't match that. I'm going to do what I can for now but I'm not sure what the future will look like.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom