Possible egg peritonitis?

hatchichickens

Songster
6 Years
Feb 12, 2017
Fieldbrook, California
My 2 year old RIR has a slightly swollen abdomen. She is still moving around and actively eating and drinking. She looks fine but she does seem to be acting like she wants to lay an egg, not hunkered down or pushing or anything but just wanting to nest.
She is just a pretty regular layer and I haven’t gotten an egg from her in awhile so I am concerned.
I gave her an epsom salt soak, massaged a bit and fed her some yogurt and calcium. What else can I do?
Is it possible for her to survive egg peritonitis? I know it is a very severe disease that usually does not end well.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Is an avian Vet an option? They would be able to drain and analyze the fluid, if there is any. It could be that she has started internal laying and it is not at the EYP stage yet. Chickens can be put on hormones to prevent laying, but it’s expensive. Does She have plenty of calcium, like free choice oyster shell, available in case she has soft eggs?

Thanks for the reply. She does have egg shells and has never had any laying issues, like soft eggs. I also wonder if it might be mild ascites but I’m not sure. I am trying to see if there’s anything I can do at home to help her before it requires professional help. As she seems to be mostly acting normal I am going to give as much TLC as I can to get her back in action at home.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom