Possible exposure to disease from wild bird

torilovessmiles

Songster
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Central West Virginia
Our cat caught a starling, and when we took it away from her we found that it was still alive. As I was checking it over for injuries, I noticed some bumps that looked akin to fowl pox on it's face and tail; big red boils on the body and yellow bumps in the mouth. I was not about to release a sick bird back into the wild, especially not an invasive species. So we killed the starling and put it in two zip-lock freezer bags.

I cleaned the porch where my cat had brought the bird with bleach and made sure to wash up and change clothes before touching my chickens. I don't think any of them came into contact with the diseased bird after my cat caught it, but I have no idea where she caught it or where it had been before she found it. What is the likelihood that my chickens could get sick from this bird? What should I watch out for?

Also, I'm not sure what I should do with the bird. Should I save the body and contact wildlife services, or should I just dispose of it?

Thanks in advance

Contact your nearest Cooperative Extension or possibly your Public Health people, they should be able to tell you where to send it - meanwhile, keep it in the fridge not the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom