possible eye infection

eating, drinking normal. poop a bit runny. Still very low energy, but that eye is a little open most of the time now. Ill report back if there are any changes.

How is her weight? If she's been kept from adequate feed that may not be helping. A picture of droppings would be good. Coccidiosis is always a concern with the young ones, so if runny droppings and lethargy persist I would be inclined to treat her with Corid to see if it helps, it's very safe.

You have received very good advice from others so far. The swollen eye could be a sign of a respiratory disease or just an injury. Respiratory diseases can make them sleepy and not eat, just as coccidiosis can. Her beak looks slightly long or overgrown, so make sure that it doesn’t need some slight trimming with dog nail clippers. That can prevent them from getting enough to eat. If she is being picked on, she also may be weak or dehydrated from being kept from food and water. So, some observation and getting her to eat for the next few days will help. Offer some chopped egg, tuna, or liver along with her usual feed which can be moistened with water. Look for signs of a respiratory disease, such as eye bubbles, nasal drainage, coughing or rattly breathing.

her weight should be pretty good, 2.5-3 pounds at almost 4 months old. I know she was eating well and i haven't had any reason before today to suspect she was being bullied. Shes walking around and grooming herself, but very little clucking, and lots of sleeping. I've ordered some Corid

thanks again for the assistance everyone

Attachments

• chicken poop.jpg
    chicken poop.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 4
I've noticed bubbles in the hens eyes and think were dealing with a respiratory infection, specifically Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Anyone have suggestions for medication? I've checked the other six birds and none of them show any sign of any illness associated with Mycoplasma Gallisepticum.

Once this ones symptoms come down and i have medicine on hand ill re-introduce this hen to the flock.

Can you go to your feed store or TSC and look for Tylan 50 injectable in the cattle section? Get some 3 ml syringes and 18 or 20 gauge needles as well to get the medicine out of the vial. Give it orally a drop at a time (remove the needle) at a dosage of 0.25 ml or 1/4 ml per pound of weight. Give this 3 times a day for 5 days only to the one showing symptoms. They should also sell Corid liquid or powder there as well.
upload_2018-12-12_18-8-4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom