Possible fertile egg still?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coolchickens, Sep 22, 2008.

1. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I am wondering if a hen can stay fertile after 15 days from mating? My Cochin hen just had babies and one of them appears to be a light blu cochin as there are feathers on her/his legs, and it's a very light grey color. My wonderful rooster got taken at night right off his perch by a bobcat last month and I was devastated. Slept out there all night to see what did it and it came back for the body so I know it was a bobcat. Anyway, neighbor gave me his Australope rooster but I only had it 5 days as it was SO mean. She went broody on everybodies eggs (only one was her's) so let her sit on all of them. Got 4 chicks, all of which are black/yell. colored but then this beautiful blu baby! Could it be from my first rooster? I sure hope so. What a blessing to have left me his DNA!! Anyone know how long they stay fertile after breeding? Sharon

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Typically a breeding is good for 14 days but, having said that it isn't unheard of for a breeding to last 3 weeks. I would say it is a baby fathered by your original rooster. Congratulations!

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Usually two to three weeks after the last mating..But if a new rooster is introduced most times after a week he is fertilizing the eggs..The fresh sperm devours the already weakend sperm the hen has stored.........

4. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    fresh sperm devours the already weakend sperm

That's a nice mental image! I picture a Darth Vadar sperm [​IMG]

From the mind of George Lucas, coming this fall to a theater near you:
    SPERM WARS​

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:The hen has to accept him first too. Plus, she only had him 5 days. I'm still going with the first roo. [​IMG]

6. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope your right about the first rooster. And, she did not want anything to do with the new Australope rooster. It was funny, when I got the Cochin rooster, the Cochin hens bonded to him immed., and when I lost him and got the Australope rooster, the Australope hens boned to him and the Cochin's hide from him! Weird, huh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by