possible Fowl Pox

Rubybrookfarm

Hatching
Jan 27, 2017
I am a new flock owner. We bought chicks from Murray McMurray in June. They are 7 months old and been perfect until 2 Days ago. They were right on schedule with egg laying,too. I see signs of small black dots on the waddle and crests. I also noticed a black spot on one of the girl's legs. The egg production hit a stone wall immediately. They are pecking at each others butts. I researched prolapse at first but that is not what is going on as the innards are not.protruding. I suspect Fowl Pox because I didnt know I was supposed to vaccinate for that at 4 months. We are in NY and it is middle of winter. Any thoughts?

G’Day from down under Rubybrookfarm
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry that I do not have any experience with fowl pox but there is a good article in the Learning Centre: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

You could also try posting your question in the Emergency & Diseases Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
A photograph of an infected area would help others with a diagnosis.

I do hope that you are able to determine the issue and resolve it.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

The black spots on their combs & wattles could just be pecking injuries. Those are to be expected from time to time, but not on a regular basis. They might need something to keep them occupied. That should reduce the aggression & feather picking. Not sure about the spot on the leg. Egg laying tends to slow down in the winter.

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Do you have any photos of the issue? It could be fowl pox, but since they are also pecking at each other in other areas I'm more inclined to think it's a picking issue. Picking can be caused by a few factors - chief among them are issues with diet (lack of protein), environment (stress), and housing (crowding). I'd suggest taking a look at these areas and seeing if any require improvement. In order to prevent picking at the current moment, you might try an anti-picking solution such as Pick-No-More.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Do you have any photos of the issue? It could be fowl pox, but since they are also pecking at each other in other areas I'm more inclined to think it's a picking issue. Picking can be caused by a few factors - chief among them are issues with diet (lack of protein), environment (stress), and housing (crowding). I'd suggest taking a look at these areas and seeing if any require improvement. In order to prevent picking at the current moment, you might try an anti-picking solution such as Pick-No-More.

I didn't think about pics. I will do that ASAP. There are 15 hens and 1 rooster. Right up until 4 Days ago everything was fantastic. I fed them brussel sprouts we didnt cook. They were not rotten just dry. I made sure there was no slime or mold. But right after that is when it all started. Separated every one. This is my first bad experience. I was doing great for 7 months. Is it possible the brussel sprouts started digestive issues which caused the pecking....now it has spiraled out of control. Ugh!

Back
Top Bottom