Possible Hock Injury - Any suggestions??

Jasmine1998

Songster
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Montgomery County
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
9 week old barrred rock hen

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She seems to not be able to straighten out her hock or possible put weight on it.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
5 days

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No cuts or bruising. If I touch the affected area she does not act like it hurts & I don't feel any abnormal heat coming from that area.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I noticed this about 5 minutes after I let them out of the coop to play. They have a 1.5 ft jump to get down out of the coop. She could have possibly landed wrong.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She is eating & drinking normally still.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal poop.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None, although & do pick her up to take her in & out of the coop so she does not hurt it any further.

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
She is stable, so I am hoping to be able to treat her myself

Just a few more things about this injury: She still is happy. When I let her out she limps but she still gets around ok. On the hurt leg she can still move her toes. She basically walks normal on the one leg & the other ones stays flat but she pushes along with it. She can move around pretty quickly, just not at fast as the others & that concerns me as they are free range during the day. She can also still get up on the roost by herself. My concern is if this is something that will get better or not. I am afraid as she grows to full size she may have more trouble getting around more. Also, she only plays for a little while & then she has to rest. I think her good leg gets tired, but after a little rest she gets right back up & plays again.

I have a hatch hen that my husband's best friend gave me. He was going to put her down because she was attacked by a hawk, and it messed one of her legs up. I imagine it was broken, but it had "healed" before I got her. The leg is permantly bent, and she has no use of her toes on that leg. Peggy, as the kids named her, walks on the knee of that leg, and normally on the other. She's free range, and she is THE BEST chicken we have. She has hatched eggs for the last two years, and does just as good as the others. One afternoon my other chickens were jumping straight up into the air and landing on a limb about 10 feet up. Peggy watched for a while, and after all the rest had taken their turn, she did too. It took a try or two more, but she made it.
I guess the moral of the story is...sometimes the one who has problems, ends up being the strongest one you have. I'd keep an eye on her, but personally, I kind-of let them figure some stuff out on their own. You'll know if she needs some extra attention and TLC!

Back
Top Bottom