Possible Infectious Bronchitis — help

Marleeschicks

Songster
May 28, 2023
Hi guys
So I have had some off and on symptoms w my flock and I feel like they could have underlying IBV.
While no one has any clear respiratory issues, one of my hens has had an off and on wheeze since she was a pullet.
I also have a few hens that sneeze more frequently and my roo occasionally has a raspy voice.
I have attached photos of recent eggs. Many of my girls have had ripples for at least a month.
What should I do here?
Should I give them Tylan and do I need to dose this individually despite the sporadic symptoms or can I put in their water?
I feel like this has been subtle stuff but for too long a period (couple months) and now one of my hens is acting a little off. Ugh. I already have a hen w cancer I’m dealing with as well so :/ stress! lol

Attachments

• IMG_2943.jpeg
    IMG_2943.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2948.jpeg
    IMG_2948.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2952.jpeg
    IMG_2952.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2955.jpeg
    IMG_2955.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2956.jpeg
    IMG_2956.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 2
Infectious bronchitis is virus in which antibiotics do not work. It lasts around a month, and affects young chicks worse. Most grown chickens get better. Wrinkled egg shells can happen. IB virus is one of a handful of respiratory diseases, including MG, coryza, and aspergillosis from mold. Antibiotics may help treat MG or coryza. If you can get a chicken tested by your state vet or a lab such as Zoologix, then you would know what you were dealing with. The state vet can perform testing with a necropsy if you lose one. Have you seen swollen eyes or eye bubbles/foam, crackles breathing, or nasal drainage?

Infectious bronchitis is virus in which antibiotics do not work. It lasts around a month, and affects young chicks worse. Most grown chickens get better. Wrinkled egg shells can happen. IB virus is one of a handful of respiratory diseases, including MG, coryza, and aspergillosis from mold. Antibiotics may help treat MG or coryza. If you can get a chicken tested by your state vet or a lab such as Zoologix, then you would know what you were dealing with. The state vet can perform testing with a necropsy if you lose one. Have you seen swollen eyes or eye bubbles/foam, crackles breathing, or nasal drainage?
I have not fortunately seen really any other symptoms aside from sneezing and one of my hen has an off and on wheeze

The thing thats concerning is how these wrinkles are happening in several hens now and also more consistently.
Another thought is, they are on scratch and peck grower feed. As we have a rooster so this is their all flock.
They have free choice oyster shell which some clearly seem to over indulge in.
They also get cabbage and kale every week (which has some calcium not sure how much). And then BSF every day as treats. Possibly they are getting too much calcium with that combo…?

Wrinkled egg shells are a symptom of infectious bronchitis, not too much calcium. With a scratch and peck feed, they can pick out the more desired pieces of feed, and can still suffer a deficiency.
They are on the crumbles not the mash — because we quickly figured this out 😅 They do get the mash as a “scratch”in their poppy peck toy with grubs though

Back
Top Bottom