Possible internal bleeding?

Villainess

Songster
Apr 27, 2019
Indiana, USA
Good evening, all. Yesterday afternoon while walking around the chicken yard I noticed one of my Australorp hens, almost a year old, just sitting there almost motionless. They love sunning themselves, and we had just went from below freezing temps to a “heatwave” in the 50s, so I didn’t think too much of it. Until I started walking towards her and she didn’t move, except the once when she turned her head to look at my husband beside me, at the same time I’d looked away. My husband asked me if any of the girls had been fighting or had hurt themselves, because it looked like this hen had blood on her beak. So of course I wanted to check her out.

First thing I noticed when I picked her up was that she felt....limp, I guess is the best way to describe it. She never minded being picked up, but when I’d pick her up before I could always feel this slight tension in her body like she was waiting for the second I’d loosen my hold so she could take off. There was none of that. It was like she was just that weak she didn’t care to move. I noticed her breathing seemed labored and there was a slight raspy sound when she’d take a breath, she was panting like she was hot and like she didn’t want to close her mouth, and she had splatters of blood everywhere. Around her face and beak the blood was dried and looked dark, though it was hard to see against her black feathers. But those feathers at the neck area right above her breast were covered with bright, bright red blood droplets, not wet but the droplets looked like they’d recently coagulated. The bright color of blood looked to me like the bleeding you might see when there was internal bleeding.

I checked her body over for injuries but could find nothing. I checked her ears and face, the beak for any cracks, anything just to make sure it wasn’t coming from those areas. Nothing. I tried opening her beak a little but it seemed to cause her pain doing so, so I only opened enough to try looking around her mouth and down her throat—I couldn’t see much because there was blood constantly pooled up in her mouth.

Immediately I separated her, just in case it was some unseen injury or maybe she was sick. Right before I removed her another hen had started pecking at the blood on her face, so I knew she wouldn’t stand a chance with the other ~35 chickens. I got her isolated and set up in my garage so I could keep watch. She was given water but would not touch it. I withheld food just in case.

I left for work early this morning and she was still bedded down in the garage (it was still dark), so I couldn’t really see if there were any changes in behavior. I told my husband to keep an eye on her through the day. Around 11AM he texted me telling me he had went ahead and put her down. She was too weak to stand, her head really wobbly, the rasp when breathing sounded louder and worse, and she had something he described as a huge bloody ball hanging out of her mouth, big enough she couldn’t close her beak. He didn’t want her to suffer either, so made the decision to euthanize as we’d previously agreed.

They’re not the best, but I’ve attached a couple of pictures of this “ball.” My husband said it had decreased significantly in size by the time I got home. This is probably a stupid question (multiple questions, more like), but what is this? Surely this can’t be her crop or a lung? Chickens have several air sacs I believe, could it be that? I’m still new at owning chickens, and I’m starting to realize just how little I know about chicken anatomy until there’s an injury. What about everything else? What could have caused this bleeding? I’m hoping she may have eaten something she wasn’t supposed to (say a wayward screw), as opposed to some illness that could pass onto my other birds. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Regards,
~Alicia ~

Attachments

• FC59326E-38A6-4B26-8E60-5EDDA5E4DCFD.jpeg
    FC59326E-38A6-4B26-8E60-5EDDA5E4DCFD.jpeg
    656.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 2F692D7F-6A26-43C5-B21A-022E27C736B1.jpeg
    2F692D7F-6A26-43C5-B21A-022E27C736B1.jpeg
    577.4 KB · Views: 45
I'm so sorry for your hen! I don't know what this is, but it sure is strange. I wonder what caused it. Hoping others chime in soon!

I don't know much about chicken anatomy, but aren't air sacs just these little filmy things attached to the inside of the chicken? As in, I don't think they're not shaped like a ball or anything... I think... (please someone correct me!).
Yes, air sacs are all over inside the chicken, that isn't what that is. They are just little bubble/balloon things. Chickens have 9 air sacs. They help circulate oxygen throughout the body. You are correct ;) I'm wondering if the mass thing is some kind of tumor. Is it hard, squishy? Can you cut it open and see what is inside? Would you be willing to try a home necropsy? Edit : sorry this is late, my laptop died and I just got it back on.

So sorry that your hen was severely attacked. It looked like her eye was punctured, and her tongue might have swollen into the shape of a ball when she was attacked. Do you have raccoons or foxes in your area? I would keep your other chickens locked inside their coop and run securely, and think about a gamecam and a raccoon trap to try and trap them. You did the right thing ending her suffering.

Good evening, all. Yesterday afternoon while walking around the chicken yard I noticed one of my Australorp hens, almost a year old, just sitting there almost motionless. They love sunning themselves, and we had just went from below freezing temps to a “heatwave” in the 50s, so I didn’t think too much of it. Until I started walking towards her and she didn’t move, except the once when she turned her head to look at my husband beside me, at the same time I’d looked away. My husband asked me if any of the girls had been fighting or had hurt themselves, because it looked like this hen had blood on her beak. So of course I wanted to check her out.

First thing I noticed when I picked her up was that she felt....limp, I guess is the best way to describe it. She never minded being picked up, but when I’d pick her up before I could always feel this slight tension in her body like she was waiting for the second I’d loosen my hold so she could take off. There was none of that. It was like she was just that weak she didn’t care to move. I noticed her breathing seemed labored and there was a slight raspy sound when she’d take a breath, she was panting like she was hot and like she didn’t want to close her mouth, and she had splatters of blood everywhere. Around her face and beak the blood was dried and looked dark, though it was hard to see against her black feathers. But those feathers at the neck area right above her breast were covered with bright, bright red blood droplets, not wet but the droplets looked like they’d recently coagulated. The bright color of blood looked to me like the bleeding you might see when there was internal bleeding.

I checked her body over for injuries but could find nothing. I checked her ears and face, the beak for any cracks, anything just to make sure it wasn’t coming from those areas. Nothing. I tried opening her beak a little but it seemed to cause her pain doing so, so I only opened enough to try looking around her mouth and down her throat—I couldn’t see much because there was blood constantly pooled up in her mouth.

Immediately I separated her, just in case it was some unseen injury or maybe she was sick. Right before I removed her another hen had started pecking at the blood on her face, so I knew she wouldn’t stand a chance with the other ~35 chickens. I got her isolated and set up in my garage so I could keep watch. She was given water but would not touch it. I withheld food just in case.

I left for work early this morning and she was still bedded down in the garage (it was still dark), so I couldn’t really see if there were any changes in behavior. I told my husband to keep an eye on her through the day. Around 11AM he texted me telling me he had went ahead and put her down. She was too weak to stand, her head really wobbly, the rasp when breathing sounded louder and worse, and she had something he described as a huge bloody ball hanging out of her mouth, big enough she couldn’t close her beak. He didn’t want her to suffer either, so made the decision to euthanize as we’d previously agreed.

They’re not the best, but I’ve attached a couple of pictures of this “ball.” My husband said it had decreased significantly in size by the time I got home. This is probably a stupid question (multiple questions, more like), but what is this? Surely this can’t be her crop or a lung? Chickens have several air sacs I believe, could it be that? I’m still new at owning chickens, and I’m starting to realize just how little I know about chicken anatomy until there’s an injury. What about everything else? What could have caused this bleeding? I’m hoping she may have eaten something she wasn’t supposed to (say a wayward screw), as opposed to some illness that could pass onto my other birds. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Regards,
~Alicia ~
I'm so sorry for your hen! I don't know what this is, but it sure is strange. I wonder what caused it. Hoping others chime in soon!

I don't know much about chicken anatomy, but aren't air sacs just these little filmy things attached to the inside of the chicken? As in, I don't think they're not shaped like a ball or anything... I think... (please someone correct me!).

If you still have her body, can you do some exploring, i.e. open up the neck/throat and see what's on the other side of this? Or keep her refrigerated and send her to your state lab? Definitely find out if there is any danger to your other birds- hopefully someone knows.

Regards,
~Alicia ~
Yeah, Internal bleeding is a possibility. I hope it can be helped out. Good luck!!

@LikeTurkeys Thank you for your input! I wasn’t quite sure how the air sacs looked or felt, so I thought I’d throw it out there and someone would set the record straight 🙂

Yes, air sacs are all over inside the chicken, that isn't what that is. They are just little bubble/balloon things. Chickens have 9 air sacs. They help circulate oxygen throughout the body. You are correct ;) I'm wondering if the mass thing is some kind of tumor. Is it hard, squishy? Can you cut it open and see what is inside? Would you be willing to try a home necropsy? Edit : sorry this is late, my laptop died and I just got it back on.

Thank you for that info @ MGG. I wish I knew what it was. When I squeezed it a bit it was a little squishy, but still firm. A very fleshly feel to it, if that makes sense. I’d compare it to the feel of a very full boil or cyst that was slowly starting to drain. My husband said when he first saw it, the mass was over the size of quarter around, and right in the middle there appeared to be a hole. So he was wondering if she had eaten something she shouldn’t have, and maybe that was her throat (esophagus) swelling? By the time I’d gotten home and taken the picture it was smaller than a dime. And a little hard to get a true “feel” for as rigor mortis had set in and there was no give to most of her body.

Thank you for trying to help me solve this mystery! I would have liked trying to perform the necropsy myself, but my husband did NOT like the idea....🤷🏻‍♀️

If you still have her body, can you do some exploring, i.e. open up the neck/throat and see what's on the other side of this? Or keep her refrigerated and send her to your state lab? Definitely find out if there is any danger to your other birds- hopefully someone knows.

@Shezadandy That was my first thought as well when the hubby told me he made the decision to euthanize. But, when I suggested that when I got home, he looked at me like I was some morbid weirdo 😆 Sending her to the state lab was also out of the question as he wanted the body disposed of as quickly as possible. So I really hope this was just a one-off and not something that will affect my other birds. Thank you for chiming in!

Back
Top Bottom