Possible jersey giants?

Crystal Chicken

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
Ontario, Canada
I bought 3 chicks and they were supposed to be sapphire gems but are not, and we decided they were midnight majesty marans as there is one that is very clearly that, with feathered feet and all. However the other 2 have yellow soles and the Maran obviously has white soles. Could they be jersey giants? The MMM has very black feathers, where the mystery ones have a charcoal/dark grey feathers. If they are jersey giants how do you sex them 🤪
I can't seems to get a good picture of their feet. My phone doesn't pick up the yellow for some reason 😒

Attachments

• 1000006139.jpg
    1000006139.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 94
I think it's a little early to tell what exactly they are, but you're right, yellow soles exclude Marans and Australorps. Jersey Giant is a possibility. Too early to sex them. At 6 weeks, start looking as comb size and color.
They would eliminate a Maran, but not a Maran hybrid like the MMM, correct?

The more I read about leg color and how it isn't a stand alone allele, the more it seems like determining breed in HATCHERY QUALITY is a lost cause.

They would eliminate a Maran, but not a Maran hybrid like the MMM, correct?

The more I read about leg color and how it isn't a stand alone allele, the more it seems like determining breed in HATCHERY QUALITY is a lost cause.
She said the soles were yellow, though, not the legs, which means skin color is yellow. We have no way of knowing what the crosses are for some of the Marans hybrids, so yeah, its difficult to be sure with them because they could be back crosses or 2nd, 3rd generation crosses or what have you, and so could have any skin color. So it is tough to say with those. I just go by the preponderance of evidence. In this case, I'm just not sure other than JG is a possibility, and pure Marans or Australorps are not. Egg color will probably be a factor in guessing later on. The hatcheries definitely don't make it easy with all these hybrids they've created.

I think it's a little early to tell what exactly they are, but you're right, yellow soles exclude Marans and Australorps. Jersey Giant is a possibility. Too early to sex them. At 6 weeks, start looking as comb size and color.

She said the soles were yellow, though, not the legs, which means skin color is yellow. We have no way of knowing what the crosses are for some of the Marans hybrids, so yeah, its difficult to be sure with them because they could be back crosses or 2nd, 3rd generation crosses or what have you, and so could have any skin color. So it is tough to say with those. I just go by the preponderance of evidence. In this case, I'm just not sure other than JG is a possibility, and pure Marans or Australorps are not. Egg color will probably be a factor in guessing later on. The hatcheries definitely don't make it easy with all these hybrids they've created.
Thank you for your input!

I will watch out for the eggs I guess in a few months and hopefully figure it out 😒

The hatcheries really don't make it easy at all! Especially when you are trying to guess what was given by accident when you were supposed to get something totally different!

It also seems all the types of chickens I have a late developers so I won't get eggs probably until end of winter 🙄

Back
Top Bottom