Possible Mareks in chick.

Chookmama4

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2018
I have this 2 month old pullet, Easter Egger. She was fine at two weeks old but ever since week three she’s been sitting/leaning a lot. She’ll stand and walk to the feeder or waterer, but will then sit to eat or drink. Her appetite and thirst are still the same, and she is gaining weight consistently, she just doesn’t get up and walk around at all. I thought it might be a vitamin D deficiency, but she’s been getting several mls of a vitamin D supplement daily for two weeks now and no change. Not sure what else to look for, any ideas or questions welcome.

I have this 2 month old pullet, Easter Egger. She was fine at two weeks old but ever since week three she’s been sitting/leaning a lot. She’ll stand and walk to the feeder or waterer, but will then sit to eat or drink. Her appetite and thirst are still the same, and she is gaining weight consistently, she just doesn’t get up and walk around at all. I thought it might be a vitamin D deficiency, but she’s been getting several mls of a vitamin D supplement daily for two weeks now and no change. Not sure what else to look for, any ideas or questions welcome.
Can you post some photos of your pullet and her poop?
A video of her moving around would be good - upload to youtube, provide a link.
So she has struggled since she was 3 weeks old? Are her legs deformed or twisted, any swelling of the joints or feet? Bottom of the feet look o.k.?

What are you feeding her, including treats?
Have you supplemented with vitamin D only? You can try B vitamins to see if those help, give 1/2 tablet of vitamin B-Complex daily for week.

It's possible she may be suffering from Marek's, but since you mention it started at 3wks of age, then I would look at other possibilities as well.
https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/importance-of-vitamins-in-poultry-production
Hopefully with more info, photos/videos we can give you some suggestions.

So she has struggled since she was 3 weeks old? Are her legs deformed or twisted, any swelling of the joints or feet? Bottom of the feet look o.k.?

Have you supplemented with vitamin D only? You can try B vitamins to see if those help, give 1/2 tablet of vitamin B-Complex daily for week.

It's possible she may be suffering from Marek's, but since you mention it started at 3wks of age, then I would look at other possibilities as well.
https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/importance-of-vitamins-in-poultry-production

I took a few photos, she doesn’t walk much, even when I pick her up and set her down, she will just sit back down. Her legs seem fine, no twists or swollen joints, no Bumblefoot as far as I could tell. If she does walk shes a bit unsteady and for short bursts.

Attachments

• 805B3163-6BCD-4DFB-A05B-7798285CB40B.jpeg
    805B3163-6BCD-4DFB-A05B-7798285CB40B.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 10445E90-7F09-40F1-AED1-61BE0F1F05BC.jpeg
    10445E90-7F09-40F1-AED1-61BE0F1F05BC.jpeg
    359.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 2E8F667B-3637-4D9E-9C98-86AF754AA28D.jpeg
    2E8F667B-3637-4D9E-9C98-86AF754AA28D.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 66D846E4-80E3-449D-B64A-F245A3FAD43F.jpeg
    66D846E4-80E3-449D-B64A-F245A3FAD43F.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 11
  • 4E40F8A5-0EEF-4233-8322-2E94EB36AD1F.jpeg
    4E40F8A5-0EEF-4233-8322-2E94EB36AD1F.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 11
I would give her 1/4 tablet of crushed vitamin B complex put in some cooked egg or in her feed every day. I would also keep an eye on how she walks for anything unusual. I would look for a possible injury or a leg bone deformity.

I would give her 1/4 tablet of crushed vitamin B complex put in some cooked egg or in her feed every day. I would also keep an eye on how she walks for anything unusual. I would look for a possible injury or a leg bone deformity.

She’s in a brooder with two other chicks that have been vaccinated for Mareks. They’ve been in the same brooder with the EE for weeks, without showing symptoms as far as I can tell. Is it possible to integrate the vaccinated chicks into my existing flock when they’re old enough without risk of my older hens contracting the possible Mareks from the EE?

Update on EE: she’s shown no signs of improvement or worsening, still gaining weight. She has no sign of neck paralysis, is active and alert, just always sitting. Sometimes she lays on her side with one leg or both sticking out but never splayed or doing the splits. And when she sits she leans slightly. (Pic) It’s a real head scratcher trying to figure out what she has.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom