Possible Mareks?

HenrietteHa

In the Brooder
May 29, 2023
My little Frizzle Henriette suddenly started acting weird and all I can think is: she’s been bullied, she’s broody, she eats and drinks, she’s laying on eggs (and I do believe she’s laying herself). What could be wrong?? Is this wry neck? Mareks? Vitamin e and selenium deficiency?

What should I do? Photo is of her poop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 20
I have a New Hampshire Red who does that back-up thing. Has since she was 2. She's turning 5 this year! It seems to happen when she thinks she is going to get pecked, and tries getting away by backing up quickly. Then she'll stop, kind of look around as if confused, then continue on as normal.

So far, it hasn't caused her actual issues or harm, and it is only occasionally. Maybe two or three times every six months.

If someone else chimes in with different information, I'm honestly curious to see if there is an underlying neurological issue, but just from my experience it's a quirk that hasn't caused my little lady any other issues.

Wry neck is when they cannot hold their head in the correct position, and it tends to "fold over" onto their back. Also called stargazers, because they seem to be gazing up all the time. And Mareks generally causes paralysis, not backing up quickly.

Back
Top Bottom