Possible Merek’s in my flock

Ericachickenlady

Hatching
Jun 17, 2023
Hello! I have had chickens for almost 5 years now. In this time I have introduced a few chicks each spring without issue. This year, I had 4 chicks that I got from FFH as I typically do. I kept them in my basement also I normally do, away from my older girls. I came home from vacation (had a pet sitter) and noticed three of the four were not well. At this point they were about 6 weeks old. They were not wanting to stand, laid on their sides unless I reached in and then they’d get up. But, they were not very stable and their wings were droopy. Strangely they also looked as though they stopped growing compared to the fourth who was running around normal. These three also had clumped up poo on their bottoms. I brought them to a vet who believed it to be Merek’s, but did not have ability to test there. She also looked at their chick feed (Manna pro organic) and said it should have been just fine for them nutrition wise. I didn’t want them to suffer more so I had them euthanized.

Now, I am freaking out bc I have not had signs of Merek’s in my flock previously. But, I know it’s passed through dust and dander and I very well could have brought it in on me. I’m wondering if it’s possible that this group of chicks somehow brought it with them? I got them at just a couple days old. I still have this last chick inside bc I am nervous about bringing her around my flock without answers. After my chicks were euthanized I had an older Barred show signs of what I thought was respiratory issues so I gave her an antibiotic. She did still pass and I had her necropsied. I was told she had signs of egg yolk inside and a cancer that is seen in older layers but is not associated Merek’s. Unfortunately, I did not think to have my chicks necropsied at the time bc of the stress of the whole situation.

I want to bring this last chick out to the area but should I be nervous about exposing her to my older girls? Should I assume my older girls have already been exposed? Do these symptoms sound like they could be something else? I don’t feel super confident in the vet’s determination that it was Merek’s now as I think back. She kept picking up the bag of food which makes me question could it have been a bad batch of food somehow and they lacked necessary nutrients? Now I have read the Merek’s vaccine is potentially a leaky vaccine bc I figure I will just get vaccinated chickens from now on. But, will I be putting my unvaccinated birds at risk if exposed to chickens who don’t show signs of infection and their shedding more of the disease?

With all the vet visits already and necropsy I can’t stand the thought of spending another $400 to have an older chicken and my chick tested at a vet with the capability. I would love advice and possibly to connect with a recommended veterinarian familiar with Merek’s and or chicken keeping. I appreciate your help and for reading my anxieties! 🐓 ❤️

You can test living chickens through RAL labs. Contact them and they send you materials to collect blood from a trimmed toenail site, and then send it back to them for a Mareks pcr test. I really hope that it turns out not to be Mareks. There could be issues in the chicks from poor genetics, hatching problems, vitamin deficiency, or something else. Here is a link for the lab to get specifics on testing costs:
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

You can test living chickens through RAL labs. Contact them and they send you materials to collect blood from a trimmed toenail site, and then send it back to them for a Mareks pcr test. I really hope that it turns out not to be Mareks. There could be issues in the chicks from poor genetics, hatching problems, vitamin deficiency, or something else. Here is a link for the lab to get specifics on testing costs:
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf
Thank you for the reply! I will be contacting them Monday!

Back
Top Bottom