Possible mites

Cindosha

Chirping
Jun 15, 2021
Southeast Michigan
We had a broody hen and my neighbor gave us some possibly fertilized eggs. One hatched today but we think the broody might have mites. When my husband was checking for the hatched chick, he felt something crawling on his arm and found teeny tiny (smaller than a pin head) things crawling on his arms (about 3-5) We are thinking they are mites and I will check when I get home from work but if the mom has mites, what is the best thing to use to get rid of them if she has a brand new chick? I have read to use diatomaceous earth and have read DO NOT use diatomaceous earth. We want something safe for the baby and the mom... any ideas?

We had a broody hen and my neighbor gave us some possibly fertilized eggs. One hatched today but we think the broody might have mites. When my husband was checking for the hatched chick, he felt something crawling on his arm and found teeny tiny (smaller than a pin head) things crawling on his arms (about 3-5) We are thinking they are mites and I will check when I get home from work but if the mom has mites, what is the best thing to use to get rid of them if she has a brand new chick? I have read to use diatomaceous earth and have read DO NOT use diatomaceous earth. We want something safe for the baby and the mom... any ideas?
Permethrin dust is safe for chicks. It works really well for mites and I like to treat birds in 7 day intervals. Make sure to get the dust as close to the skin as possible, while paying special attention under the wings and under the vent.

Back
Top Bottom