Possible Mycoplasma Gallisepticum?

Cellomama2

Songster
5 Years
Jun 11, 2017
Wisconsin
I noticed a drop in eggs this year and at first assumed it was age since a good portion of our flock is between 4 and 5 years old now but after finding one of our girls has bumble foot and starting treatment for that we noticed a good amount of the other birds were also acting off. One we knew had a significant decrease in weight which we were working with but we assumed that was something to with the scaly leg mites we have been battling for the last month on and off and had been working to get her back to normal. Today standing out there and talking we saw that many of the birds were just laying around, just not very energetic and the water intake has increased a lot which we thought was from the heat lately. Then we had one sneeze all over us, found another had what looked like bubbles in her eye, watched three different ones basically poop water and had another one look like it was drooling. 5 years and we haven't had anything more than mites and now all of a sudden it seems like everything hit at once. Looking this up online is making me very worried because MG and MS keep popping up which I know is extremely bad. A bunch of the neighbors have chickens as well and the last thing I want is to be spreading something like that to the others. Please tell me there are other things that manifest similar symptoms that would be an easy fix other than culling the flock. I'm obviously still going to be doing a lot more research but I was hoping someone on here could help point me in a direction other than MG.

(I love these birds but I can't spend hundreds in vet bills either to have a flock that I will need to have crazy bio security measures with for the rest of their lives because we have kids that run back and forth with all the neighbor kids so that would basically be impossible to keep contained)

Since you live in Wisconsin, I suspect your birds are used to a mild/cooler/colder environment with occasional 90 degree temps during the summer which they are really arnt used to.

Birds eat less and drink more water in hot temps, they tend to lay around and restrict movement as well. Pooping water is part of it because birds drink more water in warm/hot temps. Expect a drop in egg production during hot temps. Besides, autumn is around the corner for you, and your birds will be starting molt and egg production will grind to a halt. We have a longggg wait for autumn, and the heat is on for us for a long time.
Additionally, older hens lay less eggs as time passes.

The possibility is there if you suspect MG. However, there are usually more noticeable symptoms than a bubbly eye and/or sneezing.
Other symptoms include but not limited to; sneezing, wheezing, head shaking, sinus issues.
If it were MG, other birds would be showing similar or more symptoms.

There are many reasons why birds sneeze, it doesnt mean that have a specific disease, same for head shaking.
The bubbles in the eye could be due to dust particles from a dirt bath or maybe pollen, or soiled bedding causing ammonia fumes inside the coop or poor ventilation.

A blood test could determine if your bird(s) have MG. You can call a veterinary college and find out how to go about submitting a blood sample or contact your local extension office for more information.

Consider worming your birds with Valbazen, use Nu-Stock to treat scaly leg mites and wear disposable gloves when applying it. Minor surgery is best for bumblefoot.
Give your birds Avian Super Pack to replace lost vitamins and minerals due to watery diarrhea. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water.
https://www.jefferspet.com/avian-super-pack-100g/p

Thank you so much. I knew about the heat and the age but everything together is just really freaking me out. Had never heard of the Nu-Stock but will be getting that.

Back
Top Bottom