Possible Naked Neck mix? Missing feathers in wrong place.

PeachyFox

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2015
Bogalusa
I bought some eggs from a woman selling hatching eggs at a chicken swap and were told they were mostly silkie/cochin bantam mixes but I would have a few necked necks mixed it cause they sometimes get into the hens' yard. From the batch I got 2 really nice looking naked necks, but I also got 2 of these.

I'm just wondering if these two (I'm thinking one cockerel and one pullet) are a case of mixed genes getting a little confused on placement. As you can see, some feathers are still coming in, but lots of the bald patches have no feathers at all coming in.

But I did have 2 mean ameraucana/maran cockerels I recently just sold cause they were pulling feathers out of all the other babies, but these were in this state before feathers were being pulled, so I don't think it has much to do with that.

They're on the dumor starter/grower and get enough food that I sometimes worry their little crops will pop! I did just remove the two problem cockerels and they did pull some feathers out the others (only tiny patches on 3 other birds above the tail or shoulders) but if these are feather picked it seems very extreme for just these two. None others are to this degree.

Last edited:
It's possible these chicks are just slower than the others, or more docile and submissive. Keep up with giving as much starter as they want, and those feathers should come in, in no time.

Back
Top Bottom