Possible Newcastle case?

kproffer

Songster
Mar 22, 2019
SE Missouri
My 4yo black star seemed lethargic for a couple of days, but would get up and act normally at times. Yesterday afternoon I found her laying down with her head twisted upside down. Her vent an head are clean, no signed of lice or other infestation. I would be very surprised if this is wry neck development, my flock eats layer feed throughout the day and gets treats of meal worms, scratch, and black oil sunflower seed in the evening, when they get treats anyway. She’s one of 30, everyone else seems fine at the moment. Her eyes have been mostly closed but when she did opened them there’s a small collection of white bubbles in the corner. I’ve tried to force some water and polyvisol down her but otherwise she won’t eat or drink. Wondering if this is possibly Newcastle disease? Does anyone have experience with it? Treatment? Recovery? What about the rest of my flock?

One sick four year old hen is sad, but more than likely her problem, not a flock issue. However, if you find more sick/ dying birds within a few days or a week, it's a big deal, and you will need to have your birds tested at your state veterinary path lab.
Diet wise, layer feed is usually 16% protein, a minimal amount, and adding those treats, except in tiny amounts, mostly adds fat, and generally lowers the protein level even more.
This hen is very very sick, so sorry.
Mary

Bubbly eyes signify a respiratory infection. You might be able to treat with Tylan. The twisted head could very well be wry neck. My broody Silkie suddenly developed this recently. She's 3.5 years old and had never had it before. She responded beautifully to vitamins E and selenium supplementation.

However, if you find more sick/ dying birds within a few days or a week, it's a big deal, and you will need to have your birds tested at your state veterinary path lab.
I will definitely be keeping a close eye on them. Do you reference the testing to be certain what I’m dealing with or do outbreaks need reported for conservation/control?

Bubbly eyes signify a respiratory infection. You might be able to treat with Tylan. The twisted head could very well be wry neck. My broody Silkie suddenly developed this recently. She's 3.5 years old and had never had it before. She responded beautifully to vitamins E and selenium supplementation.
I was trying the polyvisol for the vitamins in case it was just wry neck. That was a suggestion I read elsewhere anyway. I’m very concerned about how dehydrated she’s getting but since forcing the liquids earlier (it was about 1Tbs) she seems to be gurgling with breathing. This is awful

I was trying the polyvisol for the vitamins in case it was just wry neck. That was a suggestion I read elsewhere anyway. I’m very concerned about how dehydrated she’s getting but since forcing the liquids earlier (it was about 1Tbs) she seems to be gurgling with breathing. This is awful
I am so sorry... I went through something similar with a hen back in April. The gurgling could be that she aspirated when you gave her the liquids. It sometimes takes weeks for wry neck to respond. SubQ liquids would help if you know how to administer. But it might be time for a vet, if that's something that you'd consider (or if it's even possible).

I will definitely be keeping a close eye on them. Do you reference the testing to be certain what I’m dealing with or do outbreaks need reported for conservation/control?
I think they mean for necropsy. You'd ship the refrigerated body of a newly deceased chicken to your state lab to hopefully find out what killed it.

Newcastle is no joke. Southern California was ravaged by it recently. I seriously doubt it's Newcastle if she's the only one affected, but I'm definitely no expert!

Well somehow she’s still alive. She had two poops yesterday, one yellow one green. I don’t see any discharge around her eye this morning and she seemed a little more alert. She still won’t eat but I got a few more drops of vitamin water in her. She has some dark spots on her comb and wattles but I can’t tell if it soil from having her head on the ground or something else. She gets very agitated when I try to touch her. No other symptoms in anyone else at the moment

My 4yo black star seemed lethargic for a couple of days, but would get up and act normally at times. Yesterday afternoon I found her laying down with her head twisted upside down. Her vent an head are clean, no signed of lice or other infestation. I would be very surprised if this is wry neck development, my flock eats layer feed throughout the day and gets treats of meal worms, scratch, and black oil sunflower seed in the evening, when they get treats anyway. She’s one of 30, everyone else seems fine at the moment. Her eyes have been mostly closed but when she did opened them there’s a small collection of white bubbles in the corner. I’ve tried to force some water and polyvisol down her but otherwise she won’t eat or drink. Wondering if this is possibly Newcastle disease? Does anyone have experience with it? Treatment? Recovery? What about the rest of my flock?
Photos? Bird, how she's laying down, poop, eyes, etc.

When was her last egg?
Is her crop emptying?
Any bloat or fluid in the abdomen?

Newcastle is a respiratory disease - any respiratory symptoms? Any new birds in the last 30 days with respiratory illness/symptoms?

Torticollis (Wry Neck) is a symptom. Go to Walmart, CVS, etc. and get a bottle of Vitamin E (400IU) and B-Complex. Give her 1 Vitamin E soft gel daily along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex. A bit of egg to help with the uptake of E.

Any chance she ate something moldy, toxic, dead, rotten, compost pile?👇
She has some dark spots on her comb and wattles but I can’t tell if it soil from having her head on the ground or something else. She gets very agitated when I try to touch her.

Back
Top Bottom