Possible olive egger?

We are really getting in to semantics here, at least to some point...

An Easter Egger is a chicken that can lay eggs pretty much across any of the color spectrums, and this could theoretically include olive colored eggs... They are mutts with no specific blood lines, a catch all name for anything that doesn't lay a traditional colored egg...

An Olive Egger is a generally a bred on purpose hybrid, using a blue/green egg laying hen (be it pure bred blue/green laying variety or even a generic Easter Egger mutt) that is breed to a rooster that you know carries the deep brown eggs genes... Of course there are no set rules, there are other ways to get olive colored eggs even by chance with mutts...

To know if you have an 'Olive Egger' or a 'Easter Egger' crack an egg open, if the inside of the shell is the same color as the outside most would just consider it just a green laying Easter Egger, but if you crack it open and the inside is a lighter blue/green color with the outer shell being noticeably darker then it's an Olive Egger... The reason being is that the brown egg gene in this case only colors the outside of the shell, it's the mixture of a base blue/green egg and this thin brown coating that results in the olive colored egg...

I hope that makes some sense...

wonderfully explained thank you at least I know which chicks to get next spring

I have 4 olive eggers from My Pet Chicken and all there eggs are sage green on the outside and white on the inside.

I hate to hijack a thread, but one of our pullets just turned 18 weeks on the 7th, I know she has Black Copper Marans mother and either EE or Ameracauna father I'm hoping for olive eggs!!! Attached is a pic, please let me know what yall think... Possible Olive egger, or a dark egg layer? She's the black one.
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom