possible Pekin duck leg problem?

Mrs.H

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
First time duck owner. I have 2 Pekin ducklings about 2-3 weeks of age. One seems lazy, legs slightly more spread apart compared to my other duckling (like at the hips) also slightly larger legs, walks a little differently, not sure if this is causing he/she to not be so active, or maybe im just use to having chickens/chicks constantly on the go? They are joined at the hip, so when one lays down so doesnt the other. They are on Dumor chick starter which DOES have Niacin in it. Ive tried finding the right Niacin capsules to add to their water but cant find them anywhere. Should I add some Brewers yeast to their feed instead??? They just got put outside in their house yesterday they have been in the brooder due to weather. They dont have access to free range on grass yet, have them fenced in to get use to house, etc. They did get some peas as treats which they just loved, eat and drink quite a bit no problems there. Am I being paranoid about the legs, or are ducks just not as active or maybe they just are enjoying the sun and new surrounding?? Would Brewers yeast hurt if theres not a leg problem?? Thanks

Here's the best pic I could get, the one on the right legs seem to be out more near the hips. Was hard to get a pic bc he just kept wanting to lay down after walking

My Pekins were sort of that way. I think if you have Brewer's Yeast, to ahead and add it. I don't think it would hurt unless you totally overdid it! The Niacin I think you should find at your Pharmacy. I really believe that its simply the nature of the breed, Pekins tend to have leg problems and they put on weight quickly.

My Pekins were sort of that way. I think if you have Brewer's Yeast, to ahead and add it. I don't think it would hurt unless you totally overdid it! The Niacin I think you should find at your Pharmacy. I really believe that its simply the nature of the breed, Pekins tend to have leg problems and they put on weight quickly.
Thanks! Both pharmacies I checked the Nacin was the extended release kind which I read would not work. I dont have Brewers yeast, im just assuming I can get that at the grocery store LOL. If I do find the brewers yeast, about how much should I sprinkle on their feed? While I was out there earlier cleaning the one did just seem to just move just as much as he/she needed to then would immediately lay down, my other duckling seems to want to venture off but cant get the other one to come so just lays down with him.

Can you get duck starter? honestly, i tried the brewers it helped but wasn't enough, so i went and got duck starter, got my flock back on the path they should, they grow soo fast i find pekin do better on a duck starter and for what it's worth i have raised many, many, many ducks on the other feed that i tried originally and they were fine, these guys it just didn't work.

That is my best advice, Holly has given you some great info too.

I have a set of Khaki Campbell's and one of the a legs seem the same way... She also likes to sit down a lot and seems to be pigeon toed so bad that it looks like her legs are at a diagonal angle!

Can you get duck starter? honestly, i tried the brewers it helped but wasn't enough, so i went and got duck starter, got my flock back on the path they should, they grow soo fast  i find pekin do better on a duck starter and for what it's worth i have raised many, many, many ducks on the other feed that i tried originally and they were fine, these guys it just didn't work.

That is my best advice, Holly has given you some great info too.

I'll call around a couple feed places and see if they carry it!

Back
Top Bottom