Possible predator identification

arrowti

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Maine
I don't have a lot to go on but I need to try and figure out what this 'could' be to determine how to take care of it. We were out late, came home after dark. As we drove into the yard our headlights came across a strange, dark, bushy-furred animal with reddish fur (but that could've been the light, definitely dark furred, however). Too short to be a fox, rounded back, it slunk off nervously. All the chickens in the coop (it was literally right outside their door) did not seem at all worried or frightened. Roosters were sitting peacefully. Bizarre from them as they raise fits at any potential predator.

One chicken was missing, and I stumbled across her by accident just walking towards a red patch of fluff. She was alive and well and seemed to have gotten stuck outside the fence and had hidden herself in the bushes. Got her in. The broody is accounted for and unhurt on her nest, also seemingly indifferent.

I flashed a light outside a little while ago and bright, unblinking yellow-orange eyes stared back at me. It was low to the ground. I went outside and slowly approached and it did not run off. It moved slowly, closer to the fence, sniffing at the ground. Seemed to have a very rounded back. Slunk off towards the barn and is possibly living under it.

As for now: too small to be a fox, coyote, wolf, bobcat, or lynx.

Possible: skunk, raccoon, fisher (please no), other?? opossum?

For now there's only behavior and vague visuals to go on. Hopefully I can get a better view of it. I was only able to see its general shape in the beam.

We live in the Northeast United States in Maine, if that helps.

The gait and rounded back makes me think raccoon. BTW, Foxes are one of the smallest chicken thefts around. Almost any adult fox is smaller than a raccoon, at least weight wise.

After Sundown all chickens are completely helpless and become sitting ducks for each and every predator. That is why it is in a chicken's DNA to roost or sleep as far out of danger as it can.

Last edited:
Never being in maine i looked up furbeaers in maine. It seems there are fishers, mink and martens that could also raid poultry pens. I have seen where trappers have used chicken parts to catch numerous small furbearers in the colder country. We have ringtailed cats here that 95 percent of the states population never heard of because they are elusive and fewer in numbers. Also some exotic animals are sometimes escaping and become feral. An ocelot became roadkill 40 mile from my place in north texas but are only supposed to be around the southern rio grande river near mexico. How did he get run over 400 miles north nearly to oklahoma? Your local game department should have lists of wildlife in your area to research. Put up a game camera and see whats lurking.

As described, 99% chance coon. 1% chance something else.

I'd say you......more correctly....the birds.....dodged that bullet.

If arriving late is a now and then thing......rare.....well, it happens. If that is common, and if you want to avoid losses, you will need to fix it so they can't get that close again.

Putting up an electric fence perimeter might be a good place to start.

What about a porcupine? The look hunched/humped, waddle, even when they walk fast, never seem to be in a hurry, not too scared of people as they don't really have predators. It fits as the correct size too. They wouldn't eat your chickens, but perhaps would be interested in scattered feed? Based on your description that's what I envision. Watch a video of a porcupine walking and see if it fits, it's distinctive.

Hard to tell, since I only saw faint outlines!

Everyone who sat it initially swears it had red fur, but the way it moved, acted, and how short it was seemed unlike a red fox. I set up the game camera to catch any signs of it if it shows up tonight. I believe it most likely got in under the barn, where burdock root grew through the barrier and knocked it over (there are tunnels under the barn that lead all the way across, allowing animals to get on the other side of the fence. This is usually blocked off but I found it was damaged and knocked down).

I've been looking for any sign of notable non-bird poop but haven't seen anything. I brought the dog in and she didn't seem to smell anything odd. Hopefully we'll get some pictures to see what this is!

Wouldn't that be funny if it turned out to be a groundhog?

Nothing showed up on the gamecam last night.

Back
Top Bottom