Possible prolapse starting with maybe dried poo

New duck mommy 2021

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Oct 19, 2021
Medicine Hat , alberta , Canada
I noticed my duck tonight had something sticking out but it’s the same colour as her feathers so I’m not sure how long it’s been like this
It’s Rock hard
I’m thinking possible prolapse starting but got frozen with poo maybe
I have done one bath so far and nothing came off. She sees the vet in the morning at 8:30
She is in a molt so I hadn’t been worrying about eggs but when I hold her belly I feel like there is one in there
I have given a dose of calcium
Anyone else ever have something like this and have advise to get through the night.
She is drinking and walking around
I have her inside the house for the night
Pics and a short video. Sorry my son is in the video and not wearing a shirt he didn’t want to get poo on him
She has had lots of poo since I brought her in a few hours ago
One pic shows where the feathers have the same colour that is attached to the thing coming out
It’s been cold here -25-30 for a week. No baths due to weather today was really cold so I kept them in the duck house and just brought feed and water in for them

Attachments

• 6E7FB13C-D49B-4A7C-B32D-A8F3CAD9E66B.png
    6E7FB13C-D49B-4A7C-B32D-A8F3CAD9E66B.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 884DCB07-FE7C-47AC-A0A8-3ABBA15D8F60.jpeg
    884DCB07-FE7C-47AC-A0A8-3ABBA15D8F60.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 4
I noticed my duck tonight had something sticking out but it’s the same colour as her feathers so I’m not sure how long it’s been like this
It’s Rock hard
I’m thinking possible prolapse starting but got frozen with poo maybe
I have done one bath so far and nothing came off. She sees the vet in the morning at 8:30
She is in a molt so I hadn’t been worrying about eggs but when I hold her belly I feel like there is one in there
I have given a dose of calcium
Anyone else ever have something like this and have advise to get through the night.
She is drinking and walking around
I have her inside the house for the night
Pics and a short video. Sorry my son is in the video and not wearing a shirt he didn’t want to get poo on him
She has had lots of poo since I brought her in a few hours ago
One pic shows where the feathers have the same colour that is attached to the thing coming out
It’s been cold here -25-30 for a week. No baths due to weather today was really cold so I kept them in the duck house and just brought feed and water in for them
wow that does look strange, let us know what the vet says in the morning.
I sure hope she's okay

wow that does look strange, let us know what the vet says in the morning.
I sure hope she's okay
She is still there. They are giving her sleepy gas and going to clean the poo off then push the prolapse back in
She did lay her egg this morning with some blood on it
4 big bath soaks and 4 warm wet cloth soaks and her preening the area really got a lot off
Luckily when she pushed the egg out her prolapse didn’t get bigger

Attachments

• CCDE0B51-CB7A-42B7-A2B8-E01776435203.jpeg
    CCDE0B51-CB7A-42B7-A2B8-E01776435203.jpeg
    394.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1B373700-6AF9-4BEB-A50B-6EDE00798394.png
    1B373700-6AF9-4BEB-A50B-6EDE00798394.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
This is great news! Fingers crossed it doesnt recur

Which duck is it?
It’s dasher my Xmas girl
I think my oyster shells are freezing outside and they aren’t getting enough
I’m going to try keeping them in the duck house in the day where it’s not as cold and they won’t get water into them. See if that helps. With temps at -20 to -40 this past 6 weeks it’s a struggle to keep them and the grit from freezing into rocks
I usually keep the water further from eating but that cold they can’t walk far without pulling their legs up
Canadian winters are so hard on birds

I had a khaki Campbell that had a prolapse about a year ago. I knew already, from studying about ducks when I first got them, that this pretty much meant the end for her. I'm a flock family person, and I just want to love them and make them happy. They don't have to lay eggs, we ain't gonna eat em, and we don't need babies unless the mom wants em. I don't know how long she had the prolapse before I saw it. She's so tiny and her butt is so close to the ground I didn't see it. When I did, I picked her up, realized what it was, and lost it. I went straight to my husband bawling and told him what it was. We called a friend of ours (he's known as the chicken man) and he said I'm sorry but you should go ahead And get ready to bury her. I lost it. Again. I did some research, I wasn't putting her down until she let me know it was time. She's a feisty little girl. But her prolapse had a hard casing of poop on it and we couldn't get it off. Couldn't even get it to loosen up. Finally after 2 weeks of bath soaks, and caking it in Vaseline, and a diet change and little light, we got the pool off and pushed it back in. She's outside right now In the lot, ruling the whole yard. Everything online said to cull her. She wouldn't make it. Well, she did make it. I'm still worried about her laying eggs this year, she hasn't laid one since it happened, and I hope she don't. I don't wanna put her through that again, even though she didnt even act like anything was wrong. I'll never just go by the internet again. They were wrong. As long as she was fighting, I was gonna fight for her and do what I could.

Back
Top Bottom