Possible prolapse

Valerie maycock

Hatching
Aug 11, 2021
Hello, I went out tonight to lock up our chickens and seen that one of our chickens looked to have a prolapse. I separated her from the rest of the flock and poured warm water over the area. There are a TON of maggots and maggot eggs (looks like maggot eggs) all over and around the tissue hanging out. Please help me!

Can hou bet any pictures. You need to get her into a warm soapy bath right away. Use a dishpan or sink, but do not wait to soak her and begin to get the maggot fly larvae off. They will continue to hatch out for some time, so this will need repeating for several times during the next 24 hours. Use tweezers and a magnifying glass if needed to get all of them. Spray her vent with Vetericyn, and apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment after soaking. The danger of maggots is that they can enter the body through the skin, and it can be fatal. The prolapse itself needs to always stay moist so that the internal tissue does not dry out. Try getting her to take soem water and food once she has had a soak.

Can hou bet any pictures. You need to get her into a warm soapy bath right away. Use a dishpan or sink, but do not wait to soak her and begin to get the maggot fly larvae off. They will continue to hatch out for some time, so this will need repeating for several times during the next 24 hours. Use tweezers and a magnifying glass if needed to get all of them. Spray her vent with Vetericyn, and apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment after soaking. The danger of maggots is that they can enter the body through the skin, and it can be fatal. The prolapse itself needs to always stay moist so that the internal tissue does not dry out. Try getting her to take soem water and food once she has had a soak.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210811-233910.png
    Screenshot_20210811-233910.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom