Possible Respiratory Illness?

User4477

Chirping
Jun 24, 2021
Southern California
My flock of 7 chickens are 12 weeks old and I noticed one of my roosters has developed a gurgling sound in his crow. He also makes little whimpering noises often, but not sure if that's related. Also, one of my hens has been sneezing a lot more than usual this morning, about once every 30 minutes and she has this clicking/stuffy noise when she makes her usual chicken noises. None of them have been coughing, nor have any sort of discharge anywhere. They've all been eating and drinking normally.

I'm wondering if they possibly have a respiratory illness or are developing one, and if there is any way I could treat it/prevent it from getting worse?

Also, since it's been in the high 90's in terms of temperature outside, I have been putting a shallow tub of ice water in their run every day and they enjoy drinking from it and standing in it, could this be a potential cause of illness? Should I stop?

They could have a respiratory virus called infectious bronchitis, or they may have some environmental irritation causing the sneezing. Dust, mold, and feed can cause sneezing. I would watch them for having any bubbles in eyes, nasal drainage, or swollen eyelids, which can be signs of MG. MG is a chronic respiratory disease for life, and symptoms can improve with antibiotics. IB virus does not respond to antibiotics. Respiratory diseases can be brought in through new birds, wild birds drinking from waterers, and on your clothes, shoes, and hands from infected flocks. MG can be transmitted through hatching eggs, but would more likely show up at an earlier age.

They could have a respiratory virus called infectious bronchitis, or they may have some environmental irritation causing the sneezing. Dust, mold, and feed can cause sneezing. I would watch them for having any bubbles in eyes, nasal drainage, or swollen eyelids, which can be signs of MG. MG is a chronic respiratory disease for life, and symptoms can improve with antibiotics. IB virus does not respond to antibiotics. Respiratory diseases can be brought in through new birds, wild birds drinking from waterers, and on your clothes, shoes, and hands from infected flocks. MG can be transmitted through hatching eggs, but would more likely show up at an earlier age.
Thank you!

Shavings or saw dust sometimes dust will get in their nostrils and if pine gets to hot and moist the chemicals in the sap will affect chickens

Back
Top Bottom