Possible respiratory infection

alyhughes8

Chirping
Mar 12, 2023
Hey everybody, I posted a few days ago about my chicken being attacked by a raccoon her wound is healing up. Well the same chicken is not hardly opening her eyes, has mucus coming out of her nose, and just lays around. I just gave her some apple cider vinegar via syringe because I've heard this is good for respiratory infections in chickens but if anybody can give me any advice I would really appreciate it.
TIA

Who told you acv is good for respiratory issues?
Does she have any infected wounds? It's possible she inhaled some crop contents during the attack and they've caused the issue? Can you get tylan or denegard?

Who told you acv is good for respiratory issues?
Does she have any infected wounds? It's possible she inhaled some crop contents during the attack and they've caused the issue? Can you get tylan or denegard?
I have read it in several places and I've been treating the wound. I've had her up at my house isolated from all the other chickens. The attack was a week and 1 day ago. I'm not sure what those are that your talking about. I went to TSC and git vetrx for her because she has mucus coming out of her nostrils and she opens her beak when she breaths

I have read it in several places and I've been treating the wound. I've had her up at my house isolated from all the other chickens. The attack was a week and 1 day ago. I'm not sure what those are that your talking about. I went to TSC and git vetrx for her because she has mucus coming out of her nostrils and she opens her beak when she breaths
I apologize what do you mean by crop contents?

I apologize what do you mean by crop contents?
Crop content is food in her crop that slipped into her lungs however it would have had to be in her mouth before going into her lungs. That said; my hens had a winter illness, respitory type with mucus, wheezing and sneezing and the lot. I took willow branches and wild cherry branches and soaked them in simmering water for an hour and they started to maintain, after a week they started to clear up. I guess asparin and wild cherry cough drops might do the same. Think through what you would do if you had her symtems. I had a Jersey calf one time that had the scours bad, and wasn’t eating to good, scours- diarrhea = keopectate, fever/ not eating = aspirin, needs electro lights = gatoraid and more colostrum needed at feed store, feed 6 times a day. Called vet he said if the bull calf lived bring him in and we’ll give him a shot to boast his immune system. He lived, skipped the $400.00 dollar vet bill lived for 18 months and really produced great steaks and roasts. Think through the symtem ask folks on this sight and treat, the meds are out there and remember animals don’t pop a pill every time they get a headache so our meds sometimes work faster and better. I go by the philosophy what would Mother Nature do.

Crop content is food in her crop that slipped into her lungs however it would have had to be in her mouth before going into her lungs. That said; my hens had a winter illness, respitory type with mucus, wheezing and sneezing and the lot. I took willow branches and wild cherry branches and soaked them in simmering water for an hour and they started to maintain, after a week they started to clear up. I guess asparin and wild cherry cough drops might do the same. Think through what you would do if you had her symtems. I had a Jersey calf one time that had the scours bad, and wasn’t eating to good, scours- diarrhea = keopectate, fever/ not eating = aspirin, needs electro lights = gatoraid and more colostrum needed at feed store, feed 6 times a day. Called vet he said if the bull calf lived bring him in and we’ll give him a shot to boast his immune system. He lived, skipped the $400.00 dollar vet bill lived for 18 months and really produced great steaks and roasts. Think through the symtem ask folks on this sight and treat, the meds are out there and remember animals don’t pop a pill every time they get a headache so our meds sometimes work faster and better. I go by the philosophy what would Mother Nature do.
Thank you! That is very good information! The vetrx I gave her is actually all natural and as soon as I gave it to her she started holding her head up. I don't think she has ingested anything into her lungs from her crop simply being because I have been syringe feeding her applesauce that is pureed finely and that is all she has been eating.

Back
Top Bottom