Possible Rooster, but how will I know?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Autumn Acres, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Autumn Acres

Autumn Acres Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    I bought 6 pullets from the local feed store on May 29th. So they're nearly 2 months old now, and getting bigger every day! One chick, who was supposed to be a barred rock pullet, ended up with a black head, and a white body. When I posted a photo of the chick in question, most people on this forum agreed that "he" is an EE roo. My question is, at what age is he going to start making a ruckus? Someone told me I would have heard him crow by now, but he hasn't made a sound.

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    You'll probably have to wait longer for a crow. I have some juvie barred rocks that are between 4-5 months and are just starting. And they sound oh so pathetic!

3. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Mine start crowing between 16-18 weeks. They start chasing hens about 22 weeks ish? This is just an estimate.

4. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    It may be slow maturing. I have a 4 month old obvious rooster that has yet to make a single peep. I have other roosters that cockadoodle their little brains out as an example, but nope, not a peep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by