1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible rooster

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tapsmom, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Tapsmom

Tapsmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Hi,
    More questions from a newbie here. My 6 chicks are rapidly growing. My EE is larger than the the other 5 which includes 3 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Production Red and 1 Wyandotte. The Wyandotte and EE were straight run and we are beginning the wonder if the EE might be a rooster. Since I have never had chickens before and I have 2 little girls are there things I need to watch out for or do to make sure they don't get hurt if we do indeed have a rooster. I have no problem with having a rooster as long as it is not agressive. I am an accountant and after this Monday will be able to spend much more time with the chicks. So far the EE is the flightiest but one have shown any aggresive tendencies. They are about 5 weeks at this time. I will try to get some pics posted soon. I think we will probably be able to let them go outside for a short time soon so I can get some good ones:)

2. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    My rooster is very friendly and the first one to come say hi. He loves the grand kids never been mean to anyone.
    [​IMG]

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    If your rooster is going to be aggressive, it probably won' happen until he is about a year old. They reach their sexual maturity at about 6 months old, and it usually takes them a bit longer to get an attitude, if they are going to get one. So, you'll be fine for a while at least.

4. Tapsmom

Tapsmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Thanks everyone. The chickens will be gettig lots of attention! Are there signs I need to watch for so noone gets hurt or if they are generally friendly then I shouldn't be concerned?

5. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Not all roosters are the same - if yours does turn out to be a rooster and you work with him, he may be friendly. But he may not. And if he becomes agressive and your family's safety is at stake, you need to be prepared to sell him or dispatch him. We had a rooster - he was really big and handsome and we loved having him around as he was great protection for the hens. And he was fine (non-aggressive) until the hormones really kicked in (about 10 months of age). He started getting rougher during mating and the hens were showing some wear (bare backs, scratches, bare heads) from his attentions. We were patient and tried to avoid confrontations with him and would even back away from him. But his attacks continued and after the second attack that drew human blood (through jeans no less), he became a pot pie. We both struggled with the decision as he was just doing what nature intended for him to do (protecting the flock), but ultimately, having him there was too much of a risk for us.

Good luck with your chickens! They are so wonderful to interact with and care for. ~Laura

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Long Tail was people agressive at 5 1/2 months. He made a nice dinner for us.
    Aggressiveness can start when they realize they are boys. Some start early, some a little later, and some just stay sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by