Possible Roosters, Pros and Cons of These Breeds?

That makes sense. I'd say Delaware or GJ then. My GJ cockerel was nasty, even worse than the leghorn. But they are typically docile.

GJ?

I know most of the abbreviations, but haven't had my second cup of coffee yet this morning so I'm blanking. :D

A rooster is not needed unless you want to sell fertile or hatching eggs or have a predator problem. If the focus is egg sales, do you need a rooster?

Or, is the focus a self-sufficient flock that can reproduce, with cockerels going for meat?

Breed selection and having rooster(s) or not are choices that are more easily made if you have clear goals for your flock.

I listed my goals in my first post, though I didn't include sustainability -- mainly because that's not necessarily breed dependent. :)

Our hope with egg sales is more along the lines of "offset cost of keeping chickens" than "compete with commercial egg producers." :)

A flock of commercial egg hybrids would probably be better than no chickens at all, but they're the least appealing of all chickens to my tastes.

GJ?

I know most of the abbreviations, but haven't had my second cup of coffee yet this morning so I'm blanking. :D

I listed my goals in my first post, though I didn't include sustainability -- mainly because that's not necessarily breed dependent. :)

Our hope with egg sales is more along the lines of "offset cost of keeping chickens" than "compete with commercial egg producers." :)

A flock of commercial egg hybrids would probably be better than no chickens at all, but they're the least appealing of all chickens to my tastes.
Jersey Giant?

I don’t really have much experience, but my 2 cents:
Anconas are smart and pretty but are said to be aggressive. I can totally see this as my grandfather got some when I was a kid. The one rooster was great and nearly crowed on command, but I had to “play fight” him to pick him up. Then he was awesome. I think he was saving face in front of the girls. Definitely dominant in my he flock.

Zero experience, but French Cuckoo Marans? Not sure of temperament, but I think the dark eggs would be appealing to customers and you can hatch olive Eggers if that’s your goal. And yeah, feathered feet! But I wouldn’t think too over featheredto cause heat problems? Not sure of maturation, but French consider Marans good for meat too.

But I wouldn’t think too over feathered to cause heat problems?

I had Brahmas and a Langshan in my in-town flock and neither had issues with heat so I don't think it should be a problem with the Marans's feet either. My very sandy, extremely-well-drained soil is great for feather-footed breeds.

I'm looking at both French Cuckoo Marans and French Black Marans.

GJ?

Read your goals over again.

Given that you would like rapid maturity plus good egg production, along with _no_ red chickens, I would add a Mediterranean breed or two to the Marans and the Ameraucanas. I went with Anconas to avoid the flightiness of Leghorns, but you could also try white-faced black Spanish or Black Penedesencas. I believe all of them lay large white eggs. I think the Anconas are a bit bigger than the other Mediterranean breeds. Edited to add Black Minorcas to the possibilities.

Might order more Ameraucanas and Marans than anything else, and get a smaller number of whatever Mediterranean breed you choose. Would get sexed pullets for the Mediterranean breed and the Ameraucanas. (to avoid mean or unproductive cockerels). The Marans could be straight run because the cockerels could be useful for meat.

Although they’re darling birds and pretty good for dark meat production, Jersey Giants, Brahmas, and Cochins are slow to mature and don’t lay all that well. Probably just keep the ones you have. Cockerels of all those breeds are pretty useful for meat, but are slow-growing....

Unfortunately, I can’t think of any fast-maturing good egg layers that are also feather-footed, except for bantams which mature pretty fast. Then, you get broodiness...great for a self-reproducing flock but not so great for eggs. When I said “sustainable,” I meant self-reproducing + good at foraging.

And, I’m on board with the #NoRIR team and your color selection. I lean toward black, gray, speckled, barred, and white birds myself.

And, feather-footed birds are soooo cute and they usually have great personalities! Am just trying to balance production vs. cute and good personality.

Last edited:
Read your goals over again.

Given that you would like rapid maturity plus good egg production, along with _no_ red chickens, I would add a Mediterranean breed or two to the Marans and the Ameraucanas. I went with Anconas to avoid the flightiness of Leghorns, but you could also try white-faced black Spanish or Black Penedesencas. I believe all of them lay large white eggs. I think the Anconas are a bit bigger than the other Mediterranean breeds.

And, I’m on board with the #NoRIR team and your color selection. I lean toward black, gray, speckled, barred, and white birds myself.

My only Mediterranean type ever is my current California White. I'm expecting her to be the first to lay -- assuming I don't lose her because she's a bold escape artist who is always the first to investigate anything interesting and could easily fly over the electric netting if she thought she had a reason to do it. :D

I was looking at California Greys, Austra Whites, and Ideal's Production Blacks as well. I'll investigate the Anconas.

😳 I need about 3 more.

☕ ☕ ☕

My only Mediterranean type ever is my current California White. I'm expecting her to be the first to lay -- assuming I don't lose her because she's a bold escape artist who is always the first to investigate anything interesting and could easily fly over the electric netting if she thought she had a reason to do it. :D

I was looking at California Greys, Austra Whites, and Ideal's Production Blacks as well. I'll investigate the Anconas.

☕ ☕ ☕
They sound like good choices, as long as you don’t mind hybrids.

Back
Top Bottom