Possible sick chicken

treeoflife5785chickens

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2022
I have a one year old hen who I noticed is acting a bit slower than usual. She is eating, but not as quickly as usual. I noticed her vent feathers had poop on them and her poop is a light green color. I gave her a bath to wash her off and will add some apple cider vinegar to their water. We go out of town this week and I am concerned to leave her. Any suggestions as to what this could be? Also should add that their birthday is in June, so they did not molt this year. (she just turned 1 in June)

When was her last egg?
What breed is she?
How does her crop feel? Check her crop early the next morning and see if its empty or not.
Also check her over for lice and mites.

Thank you so much for your concern. We got up early the next morning and found she had passed an egg without a shell. Her bath with warm water hopefully loosened it up. I prayed God's protection over our flock while we would be away and came home to all 5 of my lovely hens. Praise God! Scarlett is feeling like herself again and I find her hopping on top of the nesting boxes trying to hold on! It is built with a slanted top to deter them from this, but she likes it up there. Silly Chicken!

Thank you so much for your concern. We got up early the next morning and found she had passed an egg without a shell. Her bath with warm water hopefully loosened it up. I prayed God's protection over our flock while we would be away and came home to all 5 of my lovely hens. Praise God! Scarlett is feeling like herself again and I find her hopping on top of the nesting boxes trying to hold on! It is built with a slanted top to deter them from this, but she likes it up there. Silly Chicken!
So glad to hear this! Sounds like she was having trouble with an egg, and that was causing her behavior. It would be good to get some calcium citrate +D3, incase she acts like that again. You can give her that and it will help her pass the egg, if that's the problem.

Back
Top Bottom