Possible skin hives from allergy to duckling down? or maybe poop?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PaulX, Dec 13, 2018.

1. PaulX

PaulX Chirping

Nov 15, 2018
    Hello,

I've just developed skin hives since yesterday. I'm suspecting an allergic reaction to something.

It couldn't be the food since I didn't eat anything unusual and I've never had food allergy before.
    It could be one certain medication that I've upped the dosage since 6 weeks ago, but it's 6 weeks ago, so..., and the doctor who prescribed the medication said it's very, very, unlikely.

Which brings down to... the ducklings that I hatched 6 days ago, that I keep in the brooder in my bedroom, and that I take out for cuddles on my chest often. I also got pooped on a few times.

But is that possible that I would be allergic to them? The skin hives is the only symptom, and I used to have ducklings before with no problem (albeit not on my chest and not in my bedroom). It is also my understanding that if I'm to be allergic to contact with the ducklings, then my skin hives should be on my chest, my neck, or my hands, but my skin hives are actually on my arms and legs, in my pants, and a very small spot on my stomach, which were never in contact with the ducklings. Since my skin hives are mainly all over the body, I'm leaning more towards it being about something I ingested.

Well if this subsides in 1 or to days then that's perfect, because I'd hate to have to put the ducklings outside when they're still this young. I want them to grow up to be as tame as possible.

Does anyone here have such allergy or have any knowledge of it?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Feathered friends are awesome

Are you using Benadryl for the symptoms? I just don't know what the cause could be hopefully not your precious littles, but dander can be a problem. Is there any other place inside you can put them?

LlamaGirl4 and townchicks like this.
  3. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    It could be anything. Allergies only develop after exposure to a substance. So you could have had ducklings before and now be allergic to them. That happened to me with my pet rats. Could also be a food that previously you didn't react to. I'm leaning towards it being a food or the medication, when I get hives from handing something I'm allergic to, they are usually local to where I've touched them. However, if you get dander on your clothes, that could account for the other places. Try moving them to another room and not handling them for a couple of days. Pinning down an allergy is often a trial and error process. Keeping a log of everything you eat for the next month or so can also help narrow it down. Take Benadryl, and soak in a bath with baking soda. I've also found rubbing alcohol wiped on the hives, helps.

LlamaGirl4 likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

My Son suffered from hives when he was young. He was allergic to artificial colours in candy and food. Was told it's caused by something he ate.

LlamaGirl4, townchicks and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Feathered friends are awesome

Can you think of anything you may have eaten that isn't the norm for you. This time of year especially with so many baking or buying things we don't normally eat.

Hope you can figure it out.

LlamaGirl4 and townchicks like this.
  6. Mandrogora

Mandrogora Chirping

Jun 28, 2018
    Montana
    What are you using for bedding in the brooder? You may be having a reaction to that and not the ducklings themselves.

Miss Lydia and townchicks like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: