Possible solution to wasps???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nancykay2kay, Mar 18, 2018.

1. nancykay2kay

nancykay2kay In the Brooder

Jan 21, 2018
    Bastrop, Texas
    The lady at Tractor Supply just told me to use WD-40, that wasp hate it. She says she sprays it in her chicken coop all the time. She says wasps won't come near it and it doesn't harm the chickens. Does anyone use this method?

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Sr Chicken Wrangler

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Hmmmm....interesting. Spray it where in the coop?

drumstick diva and Smuvers Farm like this.
  3. nancykay2kay

nancykay2kay In the Brooder

Jan 21, 2018
    Bastrop, Texas
    The red wasps want to build a nest on the inside of the pitch and eaves. That is where I sprayed it. I took everything out . . ladder, pine chips, roost . . . just in case. I want to put baby chicks in it tomorrow. Hopefully tonight it will air out good. A yellow jacket stopped briefly and the red wasps are going into the AC unit now. I sprayed it also. I tried to be conservative with the spray. It seems to be working. I am curious how long it will last.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'd use permethrin instead of any thing like WD40!
    Mary

drumstick diva likes this.
  5. Cheers2Ya

Cheers2Ya Songster

Apr 9, 2016
    North Dakota
    I have no advice for you but EEEEEK! I HATE those things!

6. ByrdFeathers

ByrdFeathers Songster

Jan 8, 2018
    Bruce, FL
    I prefer essential oils when possible.

Mix 1/4 ounce of lavender oil with 1/2 ounce citronella oil and 1/8 ounce each of pennyroyal oil, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil and jojoba oil, to prepare a homemade wasp repellent. This mixture has to be diluted with sixteen ounces of jojoba oil, before applying on skin.

Chasingcars and Lifewithchicks like this.
  7. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Go out at night, as chilly a night as possible, and spray your choice of product right on and in the nests. Soapy water might work too. You want to get the nest when they are all at home!
    Then trot briskly away...
    Mary

aart likes this.
  8. happybooker1

happybooker1 Songster

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I read this on FB & it’s seemed to work in just 12 hours, at least in my workshop.

In plain brown lunch bags, stuff 3 plastic shopping bags to keep them puffy. Tie off with a twist tie. Hang near eaves or ceilings — wherever you see wasps hanging out.

Wasps think the bags are hornets’ nests and hornets kill wasps so the wasps will leave quickly!

In my shop, if I leave the door open I have ALWAYS had wasps zooming around the ceiling. Today there were NO wasps. I was amazed.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope the bags don't attract hornets, who are glad to find a ready built home :idunno

10. Chasingcars

Chasingcars Songster

Sep 15, 2017
    Derbyshire , England
    I used peppermint essential oil last summer ..I put it in a spray bottle and spritzed around the entrance to the coop and gatepost the wasps seemed obsessed with ...worked a treat although hens smelt a little minty at times!

I also plant mint around the run to deter rats...they also hate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: