Possible Sour Crop - Unsure How to Proceed

Serotonin

Chirping
Jul 18, 2022
Hey everyone! I'm concerned about one of my year old hens. For the past few weeks she's been having very watery, small, unnaturally green poops (pictured here). It took me a while to figure out which hen was having these droppings because until just a few days ago, she'd been acting fairly normal... But now she's lethargic, hunched up, and not eating much. She showed interest in eggs and I've seen her peck a bit at her feed, but most of the time she just stands around, hunched up with her eyes closed off and on. She drinks plenty though... An almost suspicious amount since it's not hot out. She also threw up what looked like water when she bent down to eat some egg.

I brought her inside on Sunday evening and called the vet yesterday morning, but they can't see her until Thursday. I got a suggestion that it might be sour crop. Her crop wasn't huge, but it was a bit squishy. There was no foul smell from her mouth, but she did seem to throw up water after drinking, so I withdrew feed and water for 24 hours and have been massaging her crop every few hours. It seemed to work as her crop went almost completely down, so I gave her some water with probiotic powder in it and came back to check on her a half hour later. She'd drank a lot and her crop is full of water, to the point where she's throwing it up again.

I'm really not sure what to do now. I wanted to feed her a little egg because she hasn't eaten much if anything for days. But with her crop all full of water, I'm not sure it's safe.

She's also very actively molting, so she's already in a "delicate" state and I'm worried she won't make it to the vet appointment. Is there anything I can do to help her in the meantime? I'm really unsure how to proceed.

Attachments

• PXL_20231121_150941586.jpg
    PXL_20231121_150941586.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20231121_150955732.jpg
    PXL_20231121_150955732.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20231126_151024356.jpg
    PXL_20231126_151024356.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 4
Hey everyone! I'm concerned about one of my year old hens. For the past few weeks she's been having very watery, small, unnaturally green poops (pictured here). It took me a while to figure out which hen was having these droppings because until just a few days ago, she'd been acting fairly normal... But now she's lethargic, hunched up, and not eating much. She showed interest in eggs and I've seen her peck a bit at her feed, but most of the time she just stands around, hunched up with her eyes closed off and on. She drinks plenty though... An almost suspicious amount since it's not hot out. She also threw up what looked like water when she bent down to eat some egg.

I brought her inside on Sunday evening and called the vet yesterday morning, but they can't see her until Thursday. I got a suggestion that it might be sour crop. Her crop wasn't huge, but it was a bit squishy. There was no foul smell from her mouth, but she did seem to throw up water after drinking, so I withdrew feed and water for 24 hours and have been massaging her crop every few hours. It seemed to work as her crop went almost completely down, so I gave her some water with probiotic powder in it and came back to check on her a half hour later. She'd drank a lot and her crop is full of water, to the point where she's throwing it up again.

I'm really not sure what to do now. I wanted to feed her a little egg because she hasn't eaten much if anything for days. But with her crop all full of water, I'm not sure it's safe.

She's also very actively molting, so she's already in a "delicate" state and I'm worried she won't make it to the vet appointment. Is there anything I can do to help her in the meantime? I'm really unsure how to proceed.
How is she doing? Did you find out the cause?
Green poop can mean several things, such as salmonella, mareks, newcastle disease, avian influenza. The increased thirst is a symptom of salmonella, I believe. Did she get separated from the flock and treated?

Back
Top Bottom