Possible splayed legs?

E.D.GardenFarm

Songster
Sep 15, 2018
Ireland
Hey there,
We have a poorly chicken at the moment, she's standing strangely it looks like her legs are spread apart, a wide gap between them, but she's still standing and walking, the position she is standing has her tail trailing, very upright. It has gotten bad in the last couple of days, before this it was just an in-turned leg and we thought it was a niacin deficiency so we added extra peas to the diet but it didn't help. She's separate from the others now because they were picking on her.
She is a rescue ex caged hen, around 1 1/2 years old, if anyone has any ideas of what could be going on and how we could help it would be greatly appreciated.

If she’s a rescue battery hen, she might just have issues from that. I’ve heard that battery hens have a lot of issues. You can try bracing the legs in the correct position with a stick and some tape to see if it helps her stand and walk better.

Pictures may help. Hens who suffer from internal laying, can sometimes develop an upright position, tail down position, and waddle. Is her lower belly between the legs enlarged or full? Has she recently been molting?

If she’s a rescue battery hen, she might just have issues from that. I’ve heard that battery hens have a lot of issues. You can try bracing the legs in the correct position with a stick and some tape to see if it helps her stand and walk better.
That's definitely possible, it just seems to have gotten worse recently, we may try a splint though, hopefully it might help

Pictures may help. Hens who suffer from internal laying, can sometimes develop an upright position, tail down position, and waddle. Is her lower belly between the legs enlarged or full? Has she recently been molting?
Will try get pictures in the morning and I'll check her belly area too. I'll ask the others if they have noticed molting from her

Back
Top Bottom