Possible stargazing syndrome/other?

Kak0402

Chirping
Mar 20, 2021
Hello...new chicken mom here...I have 7 week old pullets now...all doing well, even my special needs baby...She started doing this at 2 weeks old and is still doing it...ONLY when she drinks. Acting fine and normal every other way. I have added vitamins in their water when I first saw this happen. Some advice was that it could be wry neck or stargazing syndrome. I don't believe it is wry neck but ?? I also have read it could be from poor position onside egg...
Has anyone dealt with this kind of thing and what can I do for her...a lot of people have said she'll out grow it...thank you for any help.
https://youtube.com/shorts/MgcQK_38Lc4?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/9KoZsg18jbI?feature=share

That looks like wry neck to me but a mild case. I had a chick that had it and needed vitamins for two weeks. She can still touch her head to her back when she looks up. Do you have poultry cell in the water? That should help if it is wry neck.

I added Nutri-drench to their water (by the gallon) for about 3 weeks and then switched to durvet vitamins, they seemed to have more vitamins. What is poultry cell? Is that even better? People kept telling me that she will outgrow it if it is wry neck but it doesn't seem to be getting any better?

Poultry cell is similar to nutridrench but they can drink it for longer and it has more vitamins in it. If it is wry neck they don’t outgrow it. At least from my experience. I’ve had a couple chicks with mild cases of wry neck now and all needed extra vitamins to get better. I give poultry cell for wry neck and nutridrench for lethargic chicks.

OK thank you so much for clarifying, I really appreciate it since I'm all new to this! I will get some poultry cell right away. I hope it will give her some relief and help her get stronger. Is it something that I can put into their waterer and its OK for the rest of the chix to drink? How long do you give it for?

It can be put into the water and I’m not sure how long it can be in the water for. My chicks usually drink the water so fast, or get the waterer dirty, that I’m cleaning it out in a couple days. But it’s safe for all chicks, and adult chickens, to drink.

For wry neck specifically you might want to give it from a syringe to the affected chick. With wry neck I treat until the symptoms have subsided. Usually within a week or two.

to me it doesn't look like wry neck but I've never really seen anything like it. Wry neck is when the chick has difficulty getting it's neck in the right position but this chick can just fine and then when it drinks it looks like it is gargling water which like said I've never seen a chick do before. Eager to prove she is a bit unique lol. If it's been going on for 5 weeks with no signs of problems then maybe this one loves to gargle water.

Of course I get the one that wants extra attention! Lol No one has seen this before, I have the most unique chickie! Lol Thank you!

to me it doesn't look like wry neck but I've never really seen anything like it. Wry neck is when the chick has difficulty getting it's neck in the right position but this chick can just fine and then when it drinks it looks like it is gargling water which like said I've never seen a chick do before. Eager to prove she is a bit unique lol. If it's been going on for 5 weeks with no signs of problems then maybe this one loves to gargle water.
I had written a few weeks ago about one of my chicks, which is now a pullet at 9 weeks old...she had a mild case of either wry neck or stargazing...after 7 weeks of many different kinds of vitamins/supplements (Nutri-drench, poultry cell, b12, ) she is still doing her gargling act...is it suffice to say that this is just her and to stop the vitamins? She totally eats fine and acts fine in all other chicken areas.

Back
Top Bottom