Possible Vent Gleet?

Rooka_2

Songster
Apr 18, 2021
Dealing with possible vent gleet.
So I noticed one of my orpington pullets seemed to have dirty bum. The feathers around her vent were a little caked in white poop. I brought her in and cleaned her up. Otherwise she seems totally normal. I'm just holding her while she dries off and I'm reading about vent gleet. She's roughly 24 weeks old and still not laying eggs... could the hormones be the cause of this? My other chickens are all fine. She isn't missing any feathers and I didn't notice any sort of yellow coloring to the poop.
Should I keep her inside away from the flock until I figure out what's going on with her?
I dont give my flock probiotics in their water, but im guessing I should start. What can I give her? I have poul-vite on hand should I give her that? Any advice? Thanks

Picture is of her vent after I cleaned it, you can see some of the white poop still caked to her bum. And I have her inside away from the flock and this is what her poop looks like.

Attachments

• 20230828_205328.jpg
    20230828_205328.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230828_205519.jpg
    20230828_205519.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 31
What do you feed, including treats?

Where are you located in the world?

Look like it's probably just a messy butt, monitor her.
Vent Gleet is a continual white pasty yeasty discharge from the vent.
The white in the poop you have in the photo is urates.

What do you feed, including treats?

Where are you located in the world?

Look like it's probably just a messy butt, monitor her.
Vent Gleet is a continual white pasty yeasty discharge from the vent.
The white in the poop you have in the photo is urates.
I'm in Alberta Canada, and she eats pellets plus "free ranges" in a 2 acre pen, tons of grass and bugs. Maybe once a week I give them mealworms. 4 or 5 times a week I feed my ducks peas and the chickens always eat them too. They get apples multiple times weekly too as my baby kunekunes are currently housed with them and we have an over abundance of apples.
Fresh water twice a day, morning and night.

Back
Top Bottom