Possible very minor frostbite on comb - can she stay outside?

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
I just noticed today that my White Austra (Clover) has a little greying on her comb tips which I'm concerned may be very mild frostbite. The rest of the flock are fine, but she has by far the largest comb (our rooster is a Brahma) and is our smallest hen. I'm pretty sure I don't need to treat anything, but I am worried in case it gets worse. At night the girls are in an Omlet Eglu coop (the one raised off the ground), and we have the winter jacket on it. During the day I let them free range outside their run area if it's cold, as the front of the yard gets way more sun and they like to hang out there, though they do spend some time in their run area until I bring our rooster out (I don't like them free ranging without the big guy there to protect). I did notice that there was a tiny bit of ice on the inside of the poop tray in the coop this morning, under the puppy pads I put there to make cleaning easier - never had that before but I did have to hose off the roosting platform yesterday and it was not bone dry when I put it back in, but I thought it was good before bedtime (though maybe not). I've never noticed moisture inside the coop in the morning. Also the poops in the tray and on the roosting platform are frozen if the temps are in the 10s/teens. Yesterday went down to 8/9 and today has a high of 24 - but it has been colder on other days (we are in southern CT). Anyway, can she stay out with the rest of the flock? She loves coming in the house, but I don't think she'd be happy in here until the spring. Her behavior is 100% normal, active, chatty and completely obsessed with food 😂 And yes, in case you hadn't guessed this is our first winter with chickens 😂

Attachments

• tempImagenixLlz.png
    tempImagenixLlz.png
    4 MB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom