Possible wing injury?

Fieldsfive

Chirping
Mar 26, 2021
Pacific NW
Hi All. I am new to raising chicks. I have 5 that are 4 weeks old. I keep a close eye on one Welsummer. These are my concerns-
1- she was knocked over at week 1 and unable to get up on her own. I happened to be there when it happened but the scuffle was so quick that I didn't see anything but her laying on her side after they all scattered away. She tried 3 times to get up. I oh-so-gently helped her stand and she waddled away looking fine. I separated her for 36 hours (but she seemed fine after just a few hours apart, standing on a small ball and trying to get back to the flock.) I found her on her side, unable to get up, 2 more times in the next 48 hours. I helped her stand up and she seemed fine. Since then, no more falls but she seemed to stop keeping pace with her growth at that time. She is now half the size of the other four and feathers are SLOWLY and barely growing. Attaching a video to show her wing especially. The right one doesn't look right, maybe the left too. She eats, poops, scratches, mixes with the flock regularly. She barges her way under two others like they're the mama hen to sleep. I worry about the temperature difference she may need without her feathers growing in, too. She also gets bowl 20210326_082203.jpg
20210326_082852.jpg
ed over at times by the others who love to race/fly around the brooder with their new wings. Don't want to separate her from all unless I must. Any advice on her wing situation? Her lack of growth? Keeping her in or moving her to her own space? So many thanks for any insight.

Hi All. I am new to raising chicks. I have 5 that are 4 weeks old. I keep a close eye on one Welsummer. These are my concerns-
1- she was knocked over at week 1 and unable to get up on her own. I happened to be there when it happened but the scuffle was so quick that I didn't see anything but her laying on her side after they all scattered away. She tried 3 times to get up. I oh-so-gently helped her stand and she waddled away looking fine. I separated her for 36 hours (but she seemed fine after just a few hours apart, standing on a small ball and trying to get back to the flock.) I found her on her side, unable to get up, 2 more times in the next 48 hours. I helped her stand up and she seemed fine. Since then, no more falls but she seemed to stop keeping pace with her growth at that time. She is now half the size of the other four and feathers are SLOWLY and barely growing. Attaching a video to show her wing especially. The right one doesn't look right, maybe the left too. She eats, poops, scratches, mixes with the flock regularly. She barges her way under two others like they're the mama hen to sleep. I worry about the temperature difference she may need without her feathers growing in, too. She also gets bowlView attachment 2586334View attachment 2586333ed over at times by the others who love to race/fly around the brooder with their new wings. Don't want to separate her from all unless I must. Any advice on her wing situation? Her lack of growth? Keeping her in or moving her to her own space? So many thanks for any insight.
The video wouldn't attach so only two photos, and forgot to say, she is chirping non-stop. Not yelling but ALWAYS chirping, unless fully asleep.

The video wouldn't attach so only two photos, and forgot to say, she is chirping non-stop. Not yelling but ALWAYS chirping, unless fully asleep.
I wish I had some advice, but unfortunately I was searching for wing injuries when I came across your post. I have a chick that either has a wing deformity or an injured wing. I have had to separate her and every time I attempt to allow one chicken around her, she always gets attached. What happened with your chick?

Hmmm... sorry to hear your chick gets attached (or attacked?) We chose one of the kindest, calmest to join with Willa and they were buddies. Luckily the others didn't pick on her/them when we reintroduced her. If anything, they were very tolerant of her noise and consistent pushing underneath everyone when wanting to sleep. Great news now- she is a spunky, adventurous gal, catching up to the others in size. I really thought her wings might not work but she seems normal now, runs/flies like the others. Gets into mischief often and then runs for cover. She has stolen my heart, for sure!
Maybe your chick needs more time to recover? I would hold her often (if possible without harm) and give her lots of healing attention until she seems stronger.

Hmmm... sorry to hear your chick gets attached (or attacked?) We chose one of the kindest, calmest to join with Willa and they were buddies. Luckily the others didn't pick on her/them when we reintroduced her. If anything, they were very tolerant of her noise and consistent pushing underneath everyone when wanting to sleep. Great news now- she is a spunky, adventurous gal, catching up to the others in size. I really thought her wings might not work but she seems normal now, runs/flies like the others. Gets into mischief often and then runs for cover. She has stolen my heart, for sure!
Maybe your chick needs more time to recover? I would hold her often (if possible without harm) and give her lots of healing attention until she seems stronger.
So glad to hear your girl is doing good and wing is functioning normally.

Mine was about 3 months old when she attacked and that's been about 3 months ago. I took her to my vet (who doesn't normally see chickens but I'm a frequent flyer there so they try to accommodate me) and he said she would need to always be isolated from my other chickens. Despite not wanting to do this, I built her a coop/pin of her own that she stays in during the day and I bring her inside my house at night for a little TLC. She shares a wall of her chicken run with a roo that she was raised with and everyday when I come home, they are sitting beside each other with feathers touching through the chicken wire. I thought it was a good sign that she could be re-introduced, but when I allowed her to visit with her former playmate, she was immediately attacked again. I hope I can figure out how I can help her, but for now, at least she's safe. I give her minerals and electrolytes in her water and have considered doing physical therapy with her since her joint doesn't have full mobility. I can tell it hurts her though and I don't want to further injury it so I'm torn.

Oh, wow. That is a tough situation. Sounds like you need a veteran chicken keeper to weigh in on this. I hope she gets better and sorry I cannot help.

Oh, wow. That is a tough situation. Sounds like you need a veteran chicken keeper to weigh in on this. I hope she gets better and sorry I cannot help.
Thank you. I really think after much research that she has angel wing. It’s usually in aquatic male birds in left wing.. this is a silkie hen in the right wing... but by all accounts, angel wing fits the bill. It’s normally seen at 3 months due to development of the wings and that’s when mine was attacked. I really think the other chicks noticed the deformity and attacked this one.

Back
Top Bottom