Possibly a respiratory infection in my flock. Antibiotic recommendation?

ChirpyBrooke

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
I have 12, 7 week old chicks. 4 are australorp, 4 are sex link, 2 are buff and 2 are delawares.

One of my delawares has been sneezing an awful lot (maybe 2 times a minute) and the others only occasionally. But there is random diarrhea off and on in the group.

Everyone is eating like healthy little piranhas and active. All bright eyed (no extra watery eyes) and no puffiness.

They are on scratch and peck starter feed and filtered water.

Snacks are broccoli sprouts, scrambled eggs, cherry tomatoes, strawberries and in the morning I put down some of their wet fermented feed and another helping right before bed.

The diarrhea has been off an on throughout the group since about 2 weeks old and I read somewhere it might be too much protein so i stopped giving them eggs for 3 days to see if it cleared up. It didn't. I also tried 3 days of probiotics and then back to fresh water.

They are housed inside my home in a 8x8 tent with aspen shavings while we build their coop. I open the slider door during the day only for fresh air (at night I close it so there is no draft) and at all times I have an air filter blowing in the room. I also let them out into a play pen in the yard in the afternoons for about 3 hours for fresh grass and sunlight.

I have not dewormed them or treated for coccidiosis.

Besides the sneezing and runny poops you would not know there is anything wrong with any of them so I am just wondering if I should try a round of some type of antibiotic to kick whatever bug this is in the butt to get their poops back to normal?

Everyone is eating like healthy little piranhas and active. All bright eyed (no extra watery eyes) and no puffiness.

Snacks are broccoli sprouts, scrambled eggs, cherry tomatoes, strawberries and in the morning I put down some of their wet fermented feed and another helping right before bed.

The diarrhea has been off an on throughout the group since about 2 weeks old and I read somewhere it might be too much protein so i stopped giving them eggs for 3 days
to see if it cleared up. It didn't. I also tried 3 days of probiotics and then back to fresh water.

They are housed inside my home in a 8x8 tent with aspen shavings while we build their coop. I open the slider door during the day only for fresh air (at night I close it so there is no draft) and at all times I have an air filter blowing in the room.

Photos of poop?
Eating/Drinking/Active like happy little Pirahnas doesn't sound like an illness.

Sneezing is probably due to poor ventilation.

Loose stool. Cut out the treats and see if the consistency improves.

Back
Top Bottom