Possibly Bird Flu?

Kouzelnik

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2023
This past Monday evening into Tuesday morning, I lost 4 birds suddenly. All 3 of my guineas and a drake muscovy. They were fine, then couldn't walk, had labored breathing, and soon died.

My 15 chickens were doing fine. This morning, one of my chicken hens was looking really tired. I was even able to easily catch her, which I've never even been able to pet her before. She didn't eat and has just been standing around dozing off. Her breathing also looked labored.

I fear she's gonna die too. It's there anything I can do to stop this from happening to the rest of my flock? How did this even happen?

I'm sorry for your loss.

The best way to get answers would be to have a necropsy/testing through your State Lab. If you still have a body, refrigerate it and make arrangements to get it to your lab.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Think if the birds that died could have gotten into something moldy, toxic, rotten meat or dead animal (compost, oil spills, fertilizer, weed killer, etc.).

What's the weather like - did they have access to shade and fresh cool water during the day.
Have you added any new birds within the last few weeks that could have introduced disease.

Any lice or mite infestations?

Look at your feed, is it old, moldy, rancid?

Have you dewormed?

Photos of the latest bird that is unwell and her poop too?

What do you feed?

For the sick one, bring her aside with her own food/water, see that hydrated first then offer some wet soupy food.
Look her over really well for parasites (lice/mites) and see that her crop is emptying.

I'm sorry for your loss.

The best way to get answers would be to have a necropsy/testing through your State Lab. If you still have a body, refrigerate it and make arrangements to get it to your lab.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Think if the birds that died could have gotten into something moldy, toxic, rotten meat or dead animal (compost, oil spills, fertilizer, weed killer, etc.).

What's the weather like - did they have access to shade and fresh cool water during the day.
Have you added any new birds within the last few weeks that could have introduced disease.

Any lice or mite infestations?

Look at your feed, is it old, moldy, rancid?

Have you dewormed?

Photos of the latest bird that is unwell and her poop too?

What do you feed?

For the sick one, bring her aside with her own food/water, see that hydrated first then offer some wet soupy food.
Look her over really well for parasites (lice/mites) and see that her crop is emptying.
They did eat some rotten meat the other day. They've eaten rotten meat before without issue so I didn't think anything of it then, and didn't even consider that to be a possibility because of this.

No new birds, they have mites but not terribly. She stayed in the cage all day but only pooped one noticeable time. But After looking at her vent, her cloaca was agape and her vent feathers were covered in grey sh!t.

She got better throughout the day, but as the evening approached, she started going down again. So far, everyone else seems fine. I can't have the other birds tested because nature's minions have already begun decomposing them. But if she dies, then I'll be able to save her for necropsy. If it's poisoning, that'd be a relief. Hopefully not avian flu. The symptoms are so similar!

Back
Top Bottom