(possibly disturbing picture of) Huge mass inside hen

Deb Edwards

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 11, 2007
I apologize if anyone is grossed out by this, but I figured I needed to post the picture in order to depict what I'm talking about. We butchered a few hens today and one of them seemed very plump. I was nervous cutting into her because she seemed filled with fluid. That she was! The fluid that came spilling out was not blood, cloudy or smelly - just kind of gray-ish as I recall (it surprised me). Next I found a huge brain-like mass. She did still have some undeveloped eggs in her (none that were developING though). I have a picture, but it's kind of gross. The mass was very firm and gray, about equal in size as her other viscera. She never did seem to feel poorly - she was just older and we are culling. Any insight? Thanks!

I apologize if anyone is grossed out by this, but I figured I needed to post the picture in order to depict what I'm talking about. We butchered a few hens today and one of them seemed very plump. I was nervous cutting into her because she seemed filled with fluid. That she was! The fluid that came spilling out was not blood, cloudy or smelly - just kind of gray-ish as I recall (it surprised me). Next I found a huge brain-like mass. She did still have some undeveloped eggs in her (none that were developING though). I have a picture, but it's kind of gross. The mass was very firm and gray, about equal in size as her other viscera. She never did seem to feel poorly - she was just older and we are culling. Any insight? Thanks!
Cancer or some type of EYP would be my guess...

I had to look that one up, too. I think EYP means egg yolk peritonitis. But I would think she would have looked really ill if she had had that.

I had to look that one up, too. I think EYP means egg yolk peritonitis. But I would think she would have looked really ill if she had had that.
You're right, all of mine that have that have had EYP looked ill right before they died, but my experience on the subject is limited to just a few hens that I have necropsied. The pictured mass does look more like a tumor and I would probably send it and/or the pictures to the state lab out of morbid curiosity since they do that stuff for free on backyard flocks.

Deb Edwards, Curiously, where was the mass located? I haven't necropsied/processed enough to tell from looking at your picture.

Back
Top Bottom