possibly egg bound also found shell-less egg 3 weeks after dog attack

aDillyDally

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
West Valley City

our flock got attacked almost three weeks ago. we took two to the vets. one is doing fantastic the other still hasn't been herself so we made another appt for her on Monday ( the soonest they could see her) today she was standing upright and walking the same way. I pulled her out and was checking her and she was pasted up. we cleaned her off ( which is why her father's look funny and wet) but I was wondering if her being pasted up would be causing her to stand like that? any tips or suggestions would be great, and we still are planning on taking her in on Monday.

You might want to put on a rubber glove and lubricate it, then insert it into her vent and feel around for an egg, while also feeling of her abdomen. Doing the duck walk is a sign of egg bound, but also of internal laying (meaning she could have had eggs collecting inside.) Soaking her a few times a day in warm water is a bout all you can do besides giving her some calcium if you have a tablet lying around. Crushed eggshell and oystershell also have calcium. You might get the eggshell in her quicker by grinding it up in some moist food or yogurt. Here is a link to click on for info: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

Well..since no one is commenting... I guess I am going to try to soak her in a tub of warm water to see if she is egg bound... and see what the vet says. I'm just concerned if she can make it that long.... If anyone has any advice to make her comfortable PLEASE let me know.

Is she standing with her head down? Does she do that all of the time. Is this just happening all of a sudden? Can you describe what she is doing a little better? Is her head and neck stuck in this position? Is she walking funny?

She does stand with her head down, but its not stuck like that. Thats been a recent thing.

So. This morning I got out and I notice her out of the kennel she was in with another chicken, which is good because she hasnt been coming out that much since she had been attacked by a dog.. (we took her to the vet they cleaned the wounds gave me medicine to give her and said keep both inside together) But she was standing upright, kinda penguin like (which is a sign of being eggbound?) so I got her a treat and she walked to get it, but was more waddling then walking. (Hubby said it was like a duck) so I picked her up and was checking her wounds (one under wing, one on belly) and I noticed she was pasted up. I cleaned her up, seperated her and left her be. I just got home (I made that other post on my cell which is why its short) and she had a lot of water, but was laying down with her legs sprawled out, sleeping. I have her in warm water now, and at first she kinda out of it, sleeping for the most part, but now (20 mins in) shes standing upright looking at me and occasional clucking.

You might want to put on a rubber glove and lubricate it, then insert it into her vent and feel around for an egg, while also feeling of her abdomen. Doing the duck walk is a sign of egg bound, but also of internal laying (meaning she could have had eggs collecting inside.) Soaking her a few times a day in warm water is a bout all you can do besides giving her some calcium if you have a tablet lying around. Crushed eggshell and oystershell also have calcium. You might get the eggshell in her quicker by grinding it up in some moist food or yogurt. Here is a link to click on for info: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html
perfect thank you! I will update with any changes and update after the very visit!

I found a shellless egg. :/ They eat purina layena plus omega 3, have oyster shells in a side dish, and I also crush up their egg shells and give it to them.

I do see her vent contracting (if thats even the right word??) but not 100% if I felt an egg when I put some lubricant on. I figure I am going to let her relax in the dark room for a while, and maybe try a soaking again.

Poor girl... first attacked by dogs and now this :(

Back
Top Bottom