Possibly egg bound?

Cbarr00

Songster
Mar 21, 2018
West Texas
I have a SS about 8 months old. I noticed yesterday she was laying down a lot. My husband went out this morning and said it looked like she had pasty butt. Greenish colored poo stuck to her feathers. I went and checked her out. She is barely walking/standing long. Her tail is pointed towards the ground. Her comb is red but has a blue tip. Could this be egg bound or something else?

20181110_114745.jpg
20181110_114815.jpg
20181110_114738.jpg
20181110_114857.jpg

Her vent doesn’t look crusty so that’s good. Would you be able to bring her in a give her a soak? Warm water (I use a foot tub) you’d want to trim her feathers a bit before you put that yuck in her clean water. (cut off the goo) send in a close up of the goo.
She’s definitely having some distress. I know soaking sounds like a huge task but I believe they enjoy it. The warm water can help her muscles relax so if she’s bound it’s easier to pass.
Be sure you get her completely dry after keeping her warm.
After the bath if she doesn’t pass the egg. Lubricate her vent. Oil what ever you have on hand. You can repeat this process as needed.
The close up of the goo that came out will be extremely helpful. Cutting if off will help get a better view.

Well i’ma praying she passes a egg. Don’t rush the soak let her sit. I hoping that is not egg material = goo. If she’s broken a egg internally you’re still doing the right thing by. Soaking her. I’ll be following. I’m sure others will come along with advice too.

You can give her calcium— by way of calcium tablets or Tums- crush them small enough that she can eat them. I’ve dealt with egg bound hens. I usually do about a 20 mins soak in a warm tub with Epsom salt. Then I put the hen on a towel that’s over a heating pad on low and I leave them undisturbed in a dark room. This has worked for me so far. I will lubricate then vent if the egg hasn’t been laid within a couple of hours. Up to this point I have not had to physically remove the egg but it’s came close. If this doesn’t help hopefully there is a veterinarian in your area as this can be fatal. You can also give a dose of vitamins - I do this for a little extra boost- Poly Vi Sol or if you want to give the calcium via the vitamin dose the Poultry Drench has both calcium and vitamin D

I soaked her in an epsom salt bath for about 15 minutes until she got restless and wouldn't sit any longer.
Snapchat-351869314.jpg
I dried her up and stuck her near the nesting boxes hoping she was restless because she was ready to lay. I left her alone for almost 2 hours. I went out just now and shes up walking around with her tail in the air! I found 5 eggs in the nest box so I'm really thinking she laid hers! I have 6 laying pullets right now.

Back
Top Bottom