Possibly egg bound?

I soaked her in an epsom salt bath for about 15 minutes until she got restless and wouldn't sit any longer.
View attachment 1586406
I dried her up and stuck her near the nesting boxes hoping she was restless because she was ready to lay. I left her alone for almost 2 hours. I went out just now and shes up walking around with her tail in the air! I found 5 eggs in the nest box so I'm really thinking she laid hers! I have 6 laying pullets right now.
If she’s has perked up and the tail is up— she’s not puffed and holding her head in, she’s def laid the egg. I know how relieved you are. I’ve been there :wee

You can give her calcium— by way of calcium tablets or Tums- crush them small enough that she can eat them. I’ve dealt with egg bound hens. I usually do about a 20 mins soak in a warm tub with Epsom salt. Then I put the hen on a towel that’s over a heating pad on low and I leave them undisturbed in a dark room. This has worked for me so far. I will lubricate then vent if the egg hasn’t been laid within a couple of hours. Up to this point I have not had to physically remove the egg but it’s came close. If this doesn’t help hopefully there is a veterinarian in your area as this can be fatal. You can also give a dose of vitamins - I do this for a little extra boost- Poly Vi Sol or if you want to give the calcium via the vitamin dose the Poultry Drench has both calcium and vitamin D
Good call on the tums!

Yes I'm so glad thank you all so much!
20181110_154934.jpg

Yay! Glad she recovered! Is she still doing well?
Yes she's roosting in the coop now. My husband has been working all day. When he got home he told me she was outside asleep in the run this morning when he left for work. Poor girl. I guess she didn't have the energy to even go in last night. I'm so glad she's feeling better.

Poor thing. What are the temperatures like at night where you live? You may need to manually put her in the coop.
We had a cold front come in Wednesday so we went from highs in the 70s to 50s. Unfortunately the night she slept outside the coop was the coldest night with temps dropping into the 30s. We checked on her last night and she was roosting in the coop. She was up walking around this morning eating and drinking. Tail still in the air.

We had a cold front come in Wednesday so we went from highs in the 70s to 50s. Unfortunately the night she slept outside the coop was the coldest night with temps dropping into the 30s. We checked on her last night and she was roosting in the coop. She was up walking around this morning eating and drinking. Tail still in the air.
Fabulous!

Back
Top Bottom