Possibly eggbound?

Henhaven2090

Chirping
Sep 5, 2019
I have a Delaware hen who is about two years old having issues. I first noticed she was when I saw some gleet on her vent. I saw the protrusion below her vent like she had an egg inside, made note and when I checked again 24 hours later she hadn’t laid. I brought her in, soaked her in Epsom salt and gave her calcium. It’s now been 4 days of this and she still hasn’t laid.
I felt around inside and I can’t seem to actually feel the shell, only her tissue. It seems like there are either multiple eggs/masses or possibly one really deformed one. Whatever it is, it’s huge and I can’t access it from her vent. She can still get poop out around it, and quite a bit. I have her inside, soaking her 2-3 times a day and giving calcium. She’s living in my cupboard so I can keep an eye on her.
Is there any more you guys think I can do?

I have a Delaware hen who is about two years old having issues. I first noticed she was when I saw some gleet on her vent. I saw the protrusion below her vent like she had an egg inside, made note and when I checked again 24 hours later she hadn’t laid. I brought her in, soaked her in Epsom salt and gave her calcium. It’s now been 4 days of this and she still hasn’t laid.
I felt around inside and I can’t seem to actually feel the shell, only her tissue. It seems like there are either multiple eggs/masses or possibly one really deformed one. Whatever it is, it’s huge and I can’t access it from her vent. She can still get poop out around it, and quite a bit. I have her inside, soaking her 2-3 times a day and giving calcium. She’s living in my cupboard so I can keep an eye on her.
Is there any more you guys think I can do?
Can you please post some photos of the hen, her vent and her poop?

Are you still seeing a protrusion? Does she have a prolapse?

I'm a bit confused - you mention you feel multiple eggs, but no shells - are those in the abdomen - below the vent between the legs?

Can you please post some photos of the hen, her vent and her poop?

Are you still seeing a protrusion? Does she have a prolapse?

I'm a bit confused - you mention you feel multiple eggs, but no shells - are those in the abdomen - below the vent between the legs?
She has a large bump that is hard to the touch. However, it’s not close to the vent. It’s in the same place where an egg would be when it needs to be laid, but when I insert my finger I only feel tissue between the egg and my finger. I can feel that there’s something hard in there where an egg should be, but it’s not close enough to the vent that I can do anything with it. She’s been like this for 4 days now.
I’m attaching pictures. She had pecked some feathers beforehand. They’re greasy from Vaseline. C527FB78-FA21-43C2-B763-CF45E4DBB7B7.jpeg 0AE168CB-348E-427A-A955-D667C20528F1.jpeg 81A8C9D2-8478-43FA-8B76-771ED6190D81.jpeg

It’s in the same place where an egg would be when it needs to be laid, but when I insert my finger I only feel tissue between the egg and my finger. I can feel that there’s something hard in there where an egg should be, but it’s not close enough to the vent that I can do anything with it. She’s been like this for 4 days now.
Is that up or down?
I suspect down. The oviduct is up - if you look at the image below, the reproductive tract sort of sits along the back.
Your hen has a large abdomen (below the vent between the legs). I would take a good guess she's got egg(s)/egg matter, etc. in the abdomen. i.e. some type of reproductive disorder that you may be able to "name" if a necropsy is performed if you lose her.

IF the abdomen feels fluid filled, sometimes the fluid can be drained to give them relief for a period of time. An antibiotic may help with inflammation and make her feel better for a period of time. Some hens can do o.k. for a good while, others may continue to decline even with these supportive care measures.

The poop is not normal and I have seen that with hens that have had reproductive issues.
I see no evidence of Vent Gleet, likely what you are seeing is urates/poop that is sticking to her skin since she's bloated.

I would apply something like Hen Healer (it's BRIGHT blue LOL) or Nu Stock to her exposed skin to help with irritation from the poop. See that she's eating/drinking, that her crop is emptying overnight. Check her well for lice/mites. Consider deworming if you've not done that within the last 6 months. If there's fluid, then drain her or have a vet do it. IF she's not well and bright within herself I would also consider administering an antibiotic - if she's o.k. for now, then hold off on meds and monitor her.
If she's currently able to move about, eating/drinking and not being picked at, then I would leave her with the flock.

None of the above methods/treatments are a cure for material that is in the abdomen. These are part of supportive care measure that can keep a hen more comfortable when they are beginning have reproductive problems.

1601485869895.png

Is that up or down?
I suspect down. The oviduct is up - if you look at the image below, the reproductive tract sort of sits along the back.
Your hen has a large abdomen (below the vent between the legs). I would take a good guess she's got egg(s)/egg matter, etc. in the abdomen. i.e. some type of reproductive disorder that you may be able to "name" if a necropsy is performed if you lose her.

IF the abdomen feels fluid filled, sometimes the fluid can be drained to give them relief for a period of time. An antibiotic may help with inflammation and make her feel better for a period of time. Some hens can do o.k. for a good while, others may continue to decline even with these supportive care measures.

The poop is not normal and I have seen that with hens that have had reproductive issues.
I see no evidence of Vent Gleet, likely what you are seeing is urates/poop that is sticking to her skin since she's bloated.

I would apply something like Hen Healer (it's BRIGHT blue LOL) or Nu Stock to her exposed skin to help with irritation from the poop. See that she's eating/drinking, that her crop is emptying overnight. Check her well for lice/mites. Consider deworming if you've not done that within the last 6 months. If there's fluid, then drain her or have a vet do it. IF she's not well and bright within herself I would also consider administering an antibiotic - if she's o.k. for now, then hold off on meds and monitor her.
If she's currently able to move about, eating/drinking and not being picked at, then I would leave her with the flock.

None of the above methods/treatments are a cure for material that is in the abdomen. These are part of supportive care measure that can keep a hen more comfortable when they are beginning have reproductive problems.

View attachment 2354586
Yes, when I feel downwards. I think you are right. She eats and drinks just fine, nobody is picking on her (many are starting to go through a molt right now, they’re all ugly LOL) It’s definitely not fluid, it’s very hard.

Is there anything that I can do if there is material in the abdomen? A vet would have to open her up, correct? And that really just doesn’t seem worth it. She likely wouldn’t survive anyway. I guess I just try to make her comfortable until she passes away? She doesn’t seem to be affected, she can even walk pretty normally.

I haven’t dewormed recently. Could it be something to do with that? Also, what is your preferred method of deworming? I see so many different things, I’m not sure what works best.

Unfortunately if there's a mass or matter in the abdomen it would require a vet. Most chickens would not survive surgery and it would be very expensive. Finding a vet willing to work on a chicken may also prove difficult.

De-worming isn't a cure, but if she did have worms they would be working against her. Of course getting a fecal float would tell you more, but if you wish to de-worm her I would use Safeguard (Fenbendazole) IF she is not molting. You can find that in most feed stores like Tractor Supply in the goat section. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.

If she is molting, then I would use Valbazen. Dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight once, then repeat in 10 days.

Unfortunately if there's a mass or matter in the abdomen it would require a vet. Most chickens would not survive surgery and it would be very expensive. Finding a vet willing to work on a chicken may also prove difficult.

De-worming isn't a cure, but if she did have worms they would be working against her. Of course getting a fecal float would tell you more, but if you wish to de-worm her I would use Safeguard (Fenbendazole) IF she is not molting. You can find that in most feed stores like Tractor Supply in the goat section. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.

If she is molting, then I would use Valbazen. Dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight once, then repeat in 10 days.
I know we’re getting off topic here, but why the change if they are molting? Also, what is the egg withdrawal period for each?

I know we’re getting off topic here, but why the change if they are molting? Also, what is the egg withdrawal period for each?
Fenbendazole (Safeguard) is known to cause Fret Marks on feathers during molt while Valbazen does not. It's not that big a deal usually it just affects the "look" of the feathers.
If possible, it's a good idea to keep both de-wormers that way you can switch around.

egg withdrawal period is 14 days after last dose.

Is that up or down?

View attachment 2354586
I ended up having to cull her. Her breathing was becoming labored and I didn’t want her to suffer. I gave her a nice day of foraging in the yard and treats before doing it. I did perform a necropsy to see what exactly it was. HUGE masses (2) of egg matter in the abdomen. One ended up getting a little messy in the pic below. I couldn’t believe how large they were. Poor thing. WARNING: GRAPHIC

78919E3D-D8C6-450F-B4DE-D0AD2E971C1A.jpeg 20F56EAE-D72A-484C-B2CC-6FAC03AB5A31.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom