Possibly eggbound?

I ended up having to cull her. Her breathing was becoming labored and I didn’t want her to suffer. I gave her a nice day of foraging in the yard and treats before doing it. I did perform a necropsy to see what exactly it was. HUGE masses (2) of egg matter in the abdomen. One ended up getting a little messy in the pic below. I couldn’t believe how large they were. Poor thing. WARNING: GRAPHIC

View attachment 2369963View attachment 2369964
I'm sorry about your hen:hugs
I am glad she was able to have a nice day out.

It's very sad to lose them but it's good that you were able to take a look and see what was going on. At some point looks like yolks dropped into the abdomen, the body's response is to keep encasing those in "caseous exude" similar to a lash egg.
Since that actually has a "cooked" yolk in the center, I wouldn't call that Salpingitis, more like internal laying.
This material would continue to get larger/more layers if she had continued. All that "mess" in the abdomen was pressing on her organs making it more difficult to breath, the intestines not emptying, etc.
I know the decision to put her out of her misery may not have been easy for you initially, but hopefully by investigating further and finding that she indeed had all this going on, it brings you a measure of peace about letting her go.
Thank you for the photos.

I'm sorry about your hen:hugs
I am glad she was able to have a nice day out.

It's very sad to lose them but it's good that you were able to take a look and see what was going on. At some point looks like yolks dropped into the abdomen, the body's response is to keep encasing those in "caseous exude" similar to a lash egg.
Since that actually has a "cooked" yolk in the center, I wouldn't call that Salpingitis, more like internal laying.
This material would continue to get larger/more layers if she had continued. All that "mess" in the abdomen was pressing on her organs making it more difficult to breath, the intestines not emptying, etc.
I know the decision to put her out of her misery may not have been easy for you initially, but hopefully by investigating further and finding that she indeed had all this going on, it brings you a measure of peace about letting her go.
Thank you for the photos.
Thank you for all of your help @Wyorp Rock
I feel much better knowing I made the right decision.

Back
Top Bottom