possibly frost bite

dday6342

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2023
need help i have 3 isa browns there 9 months old now i love my girls dearly, i live in tennessee and weve had some cold nights in the 30s but temp back up in the 50-60 during the day im worried my girls might have beginning of frost bite but i cant see how i monitor the temperature in there coop and it hasnt been that that cold help
ive attached a picture of Cher yes i named them lol

Attachments

• IMG_5286.jpeg
    IMG_5286.jpeg
    461 KB · Views: 30
She looks just fine.

How much ventilation is in your coop? You need to keep the coop DRY and very well ventilated. With 3 birds, you want as close to 3 sq ft of ventilation as you can manage.
Don't keep any open water sources in the coop during cold weather.

I see there is a bit of black. This is what frostbite would look like. I just can't see how your hen could get frostbite. I live in Michigan, about 80 miles north of Detroit. A couple of my Rhode Island Reds got a little frostbite one year, but it was a long and unusually cold winter. I don't think it gets cold enough in Tennessee to cause frostbite on the comb.

She looks just fine.

How much ventilation is in your coop? You need to keep the coop DRY and very well ventilated. With 3 birds, you want as close to 3 sq ft of ventilation as you can manage.
Don't keep any open water sources in the coop during cold weather.
i have ventilation on both sides of the coop at the very top i have a meter that checks the temperature and humidity and that seems to be fine my worst fear id there sick im sure im overreacting so you think there fine i was wondering if it was dirt from there dirt bath but i didnt want to rub there comb lol
thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom