Possibly getting turkeys for eggs

Chirpy

Balderdash
15 Years
May 24, 2007
Colorado
I have a friend who has asked me if I would be willing to keep a few turkeys for him. He loves to eat their eggs. He would buy them and help with the feed costs and we would share the eggs.

I have no experience with turkeys so I really need your honest opinions and help with whether I should or should not do this.

The turkeys would have to be with my chickens. However, the pophole door isn't large enough for turkeys to get through so do I make the door even larger or do the turkeys need their own housing?

What about feeding them? Do they eat the layer pellets or need something different? Where do turkeys lay their eggs? They certainly can't fit into my hens nestboxes.

As you can see/read ... I'm pretty much clueless and really need some help.

I am not sure about turkey's but I know that most people don't keep their's with the chickens for disease reasons.

Henry

You really do NOT want to keep the turkeys with the chickens. Turkeys are very suseptable to a disease called BlackHead. Look it up. Its terrible, and most likely, fatal. As for the eggs.....turkeys do not lay like chickens.

You guys are great! Thanks for the heads up - I won't be getting turkeys. It's always so good to know that people here have the experience to give out the advice needed.

Well, I have a mixed flock of birds - I have chickens, guineas, ducks and turkeys together. I haven't had any problems with fighting or diseases. My biggest concern would be - turkeys are not exactly laying machines. My girls layed eggs very sporadically and really wanted to be broody (when I took the turkey eggs away they would sit on the hens eggs). My 2 turkey hens in one laying season only laid about 20 eggs - they were broody the rest of the time.

Hope that helps,

aee96

I think the fighting issue would be amongst tom turkeys and roosters. They will not get along, especially during turkey breeding season when turkeys get very aggressive and protective over their hens. Matched to the wrong (protective) rooster will be an all out battle. Some hens are pretty cocky too, especially when they go broody. They will fight to protect their nest and it's much worse than any chicken broody I've dealt with.

As for eggs from turkey hens..they are seasonal layers and generally only provide a clutch or two. That's what they're designed to do and then brood. It is their nature. You can encourage them to lay longer by constantly gathering the eggs, however it is not good for them or their reproductive system. I don't think you'll find much benefit in raising them just for eggs to eat. You will pay far more in feed and maintenance.

Jody

I keep my 6 turkey (a trio of royal palms and a trio of bourbon reds) with my chickens. They eat the same food as the chickens and they roost with the chickens. If you have old dresser draws they make great nesting boxes for the turkeys. I just put them on the floor of the hen house.

Tammy
Hendersonville

Back
Top Bottom