Possibly Ill BO Hen 2 yrs old, feather changing color, comb faint

OrpingtonHopeful

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Hey All,

I have a handful of hens safely cooped- 4 X 6 coop with 8 foot run that I can walk in- 5 hens total- 3 BO, 1 PR, 1 RIR- The Buffs are 2 years old. We lost one of these last year without signs of illness and were left with these three- The PR and RIR were new additions this spring- purchased as day old chicks from a reputable family owned hardware store (that I believe gets its stock from Ideal?)and raised indoors in our brooder for 8-10 weeks, then in a large, open brooder in the adult hens' run, now completely part of the flock for the last several months.

The top hen on the pecking order, our BO Frieda has been molting quite a bit, almost constantly of late, and her feathers have gone from buff to more white and she has sparse tail feathers. She seems to have dropped some weight, or looks smaller due to her decreased in feathers, though is still top of the pecking order in the coop. In addition, her comb and wattles seem a bit faint compared to her peers.

I had wormed the entire flock when the little ones were about 16 weeks- First with wazine in the waterer and then with ivermectin in the water a couple weeks later- That was about 3-4 months ago and none of our hens seemed to suffer ill effects from the treatment.

They all eat commercial, medication-free laying pellets. We give scratch grains occassionally as a treat now that the weather is turning colder. I haven't given yogurt in several weeks, but do occassionally mixed with non-iron baby vits. We give kitchen extras- organic lettuces, tomatoes, bananas, apples, etc as we have them. We allow the girls out to range on our yard- grass- non-chemically treated, but haven't in a couple weeks because we do need to give constant supervision due to a resident hawk that likes to hover over our yard....

No one else looks ill- in fact my flock is beautiful! Except for poor Frieda.

Any ideas?

I'm not reading anything other than molting and what goes with it.

It would be good to reduce or drop the scratch and offer some protein for the molt, but truth is, they will probably all be fine if you continue as you have been.

Thank you! I really do worry too much, especially after suffering an unexpected, asymptomatic loss of a hen last year.

I appreciate the response
smile.png

My buff orps look the same way...and going through their moult. They look really bad... very pale in color also!! I am feeding them higher protein and that seems to help... i switched to gamebird layer and they acted like they felt better. I just dont think the Purina layer has enough protein in it, during this time. I also have mixed in chick starter afew times a week..for added protein too... so that may help also. But i wanted to let you know... my buffs are very pale also right now, and dont have that deep gold look anymore... or luster. Hope they get that back when this is over! Sigh!!!

Back
Top Bottom