Possibly Mareks

the Pollo Loco

Songster
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Santa Cruz,CA
Okay I had a chicken in my flock whose legs went limp last week, from what I read she may have come down with Mareks disease, so I had Isolated her because at the time I had no clue what was happening and didn't want her getting pecked at while she was immobilized. Today I discovered one of my roos also came down with the same symptoms, I removed him away as well, My question is, all the other chickens seem normal right now. But what measures must I take to avoid having the others come down with the disease? if they don't already have it?
idunno.gif

From what I understand Mareks is spread through dander, and is very quick/easy to spread, and impossible to get rid of. So if you think you have one, they are all exposed at this point. BUT I will say I thought we had Mareks also. After talking to the vet, I'm not so sure, neither is she. Chickens are so tough to thoroughly diagnose without a necropsy. (Mareks can only be confirmed through necropsy). The local avian vet is only in once a week so I'm saving a roo for her to necropsy. That's the only way we'll know for sure. Don't just think Mareks and leave it at that, go to the vet. Good luck!

From what I've read, Marek's is somewhat rare. I would look at other possibilities, I had some that had gotten botulism and the symptoms are close. I siolated them and fed vitamins and electrolytes - it took a few weeks, but they were OK. I'm not saying it's NOT Marek's - but I would look at what is available for them to get sick from other than Marek's, ie, moldy feed that may have fallen in a crack in the coop, new feed, etc.

Back
Top Bottom